Do chickens grow at different rates from the same hatch?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickmom12, Jul 23, 2013.

1. chickmom12

chickmom12 Hatching

Jul 23, 2013
    I just got chicks and I know this is way early to tell but one of my chicks is bigger than the others. She is already growing tail feathers while the others don't have any yet. Her comb is bigger too. They are only a week old, but do they grow at different rates if they were all hatched the same day? I worry I might of picked a rooster which I won't be able to keep due to the crowing.

2. if it's already growing a comb then it's a boy. Different breeds of chickens grow at different rates but the same breed grows at the same rate. Not everything is the same. If you have an assortment, then they will all grow at different rates. And the males will always tend to grow faster.

3. chickmom12

chickmom12 Hatching

Jul 23, 2013
    Thanks! My husband picked that chick out and of course he went for the biggest chick out of the bunch!

4. PugetCountry

PugetCountry In the Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    Olympia, WA
    We have four 5 week old light brahmas that supposedly hatched at the same time and they are all over the place!

One looks weeks ahead and is fully feathered, has great feet feathering and is fluffy and round, the second one is almost feathered out, not as good on the feet, a bit smaller but a puffball, the last two look crazy! Just getting feathers in, backs are still fuzzy\bare with no feathers, tall seeming with long necks (not roos), but just really slow to fill out. I was starting to worry but they are showing progress.

We also have two buff orps and one is fuller, lighter in color, and has more developed comb (still don't think it's a roo).

Having 4 of the brahmas definitely showcased how different they can develop and look.

Hope it's not a roo for ya!

**My daughter picked out the biggest "puffballs" and those are the two that are the fullest looking

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by