Do chickens have to be locked in their coop at night?

Raccoons are much stronger than at least I thought they were. And chicken wire is not a really big problem for them. They will find a weak spot and pry it back in the dead dark of night when your chickens are dead dark asleep, and then they will come back for more.

I would shut them in.

I used to keep my chickens in an outdoor chicken wire pen that was supposed to be temporary but also predator proof, and now i have 3 chickens instead of six.

I think that not shutting up the coop at night is just a new temptation to the night creatures. You don't want them to start looking for ways to start un-predator-proofing your coop.

I have a secure run and I leave the chickens with access to the run all the time.

I do not have time to open and close the coop every day. I know it only takes a few moments, but I am just often not at home for those times that these things would need to be done.

Quote:
I have my husband let the chickens out before he goes to work in the mornings, and then I close them up at night right before dark. On the one occasion we were past dark getting home from shopping, I was worrying to death about my babies. There's no way I would leave the pop door open, even with my dog's house right next to their run. Predators are just too quick and sneaky, and I'd never forgive myself if something happened to any of them due to me leaving their door open.

Last edited:
I have forgotten to shut the pop-hole door more times than I care to admit. That's why our run is fenced with 1/4 inch hardware cloth, a solid roof, and locked.

So many of us have forgotten to shut the pophole and lost chickens. I'm with greenmulberry: make a secure run just in case you don't get home before dark or you forget.

You can also keep a fish pond. That way the raccoons and opposums eat your fish instead of your chickens.

Renee
With many fewer fish than before

Quote:
I agree with this. I lock my girls up tight each and every night. They're sleeping anyway. Even if you think you've covered all the bases for predator proofing, alot of times a coon will figure out a new one. I don't trust those crafty little boogers for one second.

How long does it take to check water (mine fill it scratching), open a pop door? I hate to leave my door open past dusk.
Even if you have it with welded wire, weasles, mice and rats can get in, spread disease, ewie.
Good luck! :0)

Only if they won't roost in a tree or up off the ground. I have about 10 chickens that don't live in a coop at night. Some RIRs roost in the trees and nothing gets them but if a chicken wont' roost and is left out....fox dinner every time. I have had these particular chickens for over a year and nothing has gotten them......and I live far out in big woods where tons of predators roam. My valuable chickens get locked up though
wink.png

Depends on what kind of critters are lurking around your house at night. I have one chicken that won't sleep in the house- it sleeps outside by the door. My ducks free range all night. My entire yard is double fenced though and the chickens are in there own fence inside that.

Quote:
Yes, if you have alot of predators you need Fort Knox. We live in a semi-rural neighborhood and we have still had the occasional predator. In our case it was an opposum. We left the pen door open and we lost our big girl.

However, our pen is secure (knock on wood) when closed up with 1/4 inch hardware cloth and a skirting laid in the grass 2 feet all around the pen. We do leave the coop door open inside the pen but keep the access door (egg door) into the coop (that is not inside the pen) closed every night.

However, like has been stated before me .... if you like your chickens (and we know you do) and you want them to be there in the morning with their silly little faces peering at you to let them out then more (security) is better. Better for the overkill to be on your part then the raccoon's!

If you do leave them outside at night, you'll one day have a nasty surprise. Eventually, a predator will get in, no matter how strong you think your run is. Raccoons are VERY strong as are the jaws of many dogs. If a dog can peel back hardware cloth, as some have, then I sort of doubt anyone's pen is completely and utterly predator proof, especially if a predator has hours and hours during the night to work at it.

Back
Top Bottom