Do chickens just get colds?

MommaOrp

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
Derbyshire, England
I was under the impression chickens got colds then got CRD, Mycoplasma, Coryza, whatever. Can they JUST get a cold or does it always turn into a secondary bacterial infection. Also does anything like citricidal, garlic etc work in preventing illness or help cure it?

I read that chickens do not get colds. They can get viral and bacteria infections, including respiratory infection. Technically a cold is a viral infection though. I would think the best prevention would be keeping them well fed, hydrated, and clean.

Last edited:
Sorry, chickens do not ever have colds. It is always another problem from the get go. Many resp and other diseases have the same symptoms as colds would have if they got them. The cause is different. Sometimes they seem to get over these symtoms but are carriers for life ,if it is crd or Ms/mg. If it is pneumonia from another cause then they can be treated and get over it. Stress brings on the symptoms of MS/MG otherwise you may not know they have it. They will lay a little less, be more inclined to pick up other infections and have later an arthritic condition. All the chicks brought in will catch it too if Crd or Ms/MG. Eggs are safe to eat from them as is the hens or roos if cooked well. I would have them tested to be sure though. You would not want to eat some types of infected chickens.
If no chicks are going out or coming into the area ,wild birds can get it and spread it or even your own shoes and clothes. Look up Denagard. It is our only real RX at this point if you want to prevent or treat this disease and we can not be totally sure on it.
old.gif
Gloria Jean

Not a cold as such, but my avian vet seemed to think that there were plenty of benign viruses around that can make a chicken (or any bird) feel under the weather, & he said the respiratory system is a weak spot for them so usually any minor infection will show there.
Crazy hen's knowledge seems to contradict that a bit so now I'm not sure!

I have read multiple multiple times that NO chickens can not and do not get simple colds. they can however get ALLERGIES - but its usually only presented as runny nose, blocked sinuses, and sneezes. - no wheezing, no foul smelling discharge/crop/breath, will only affect 1 or 2 birds not many/majority. Alleriges are easy to spot, they tend to pop up when you change the coop, or switch bedding material on them...spring/summer arrives with the pollen and such... and again - only 1 chicken in a small flock maybe 2-3 in a real large flock.

I have a d'uccle with allergies (seasonal - lol my daughter's allergies and the chicken work like clockwork)

antibiotics will clear up a respitory infection "cold like symptoms" but will not get rid of the actual bacteria/virus. i will always be present in the chicken.

My vet said there'd been lots of research into chickens getting allergies after all the anecdotal evidence, but that nobody had been able to show any real proof of it. He keeps a large flock himself & seemed fairly certain, but I know people who swear their hens are allergic to certain bedding materials. It's all very confusing to me!

There are environmental issues to be concerned about with chickens, for example: Pollen/dust, dust from feed, lawn chemical treatments, smoke, contamination in the environment, cleanliness issues etc...can cause sneezing, head shaking, snotty noses, watery eyes and so on.
Here's a link to a list of respiratory diseases in chickens:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom