Do chickens know to come in from the cold.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by eggcatcher, Nov 24, 2010.

1. eggcatcher

eggcatcher Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    [​IMG]I have 3 leghorn hens. I have a coop inside a shed with a door they can go in and out of at will and I close them in at night. They can free range on an acre. I have a heat lamp in the shed for the cold times. I have rabbits in the shed/barn as well. The chickens go out and stay out in cold weather. They have plenty of feed and water in the coop. Do I need to be concerned they will stay out in the cold and wet too long for their health? Will they come in out of the cold when they need to as long as it is available to them? Thanks for any responses.

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

It depends. If they are frightened by predators or even a local dog, they may go to the trees. For winter, I'd limit their outdoor actuvity in a protected run and it sounds like you are well-prepared for days when they have to be in. (We have a predator-rich environment.) [​IMG]

3. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    I agree. I open the door so they can go out. But they don't with 18 inches of snow on the ground. Like Lynn said, predator activity will increase with the cold months to come.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by