Do chickens like a bath?

* Mine is a white chicken something and she gets a bath in the bathroom sink complete with baby shampoo about once a month. The part she really seems to like is getting dried with the blow dryer on warm. You can site search "bath" and get more folks experiences, I think.

You can bathe them, but they won't do it voluntarily. I think you have to work them up to being used to being bathed by a human; it probably helps if the bird has a generally docile personality already. People who take their birds to shows bathe them in preparation (including blow-drying their feathers and oiling their shanks, comb and wattles with baby oil to make them shiny!).

Search around here for a thread on Mr. Joy. It's a cute video of someone giving her pet "therapy rooster" a bath. He looks like he's enjoying it!

I had to give one of my hens a bath once to soak her bum enough to get some caked poop off. Long story short, she didn't like it. They love dust baths though, and as long as they have access to loose dirt, they will use it to get parasites out of their feathers, you can also add sand to help with this.

hahaha yeah same here for my buff orpington she didn't like it at all but i did see youtube videos of show roosters getting baths and they didn't seem to mind. I used and old small kids swimming pool that had a crack in it mixed DE and sand and my chickens LOVE! it. had three in there today scratchin and sunnin

you shouldn't bath chickens, a good dust bath is the best you should do for them. Chickens can't swim and have a natural fear of water. It washes off the preening oils which are essential for healthy feathers, also their feathers are not water proof, which is the biggest clue.
Wet feathers stick to the body so preventing them from controlling their body heat which they do by fluffing up to either dispel heat or conserve heat.
Some chickens will fight against it, some will tolerate it, but none actually enjoy it. When did you last see a chicken frolicking in a puddle as wild birds and ducks do. (Their feathers are waterproof) All the clues are there. Unfortunately not many people choose to spot them.
Washing dirty bums and for medical reasons such as cleaning wounds is all you should need to do, as and when necessary.

Back
Top Bottom