Do chickens like water??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by helenl, Oct 14, 2011.

1. helenl

helenl New Egg

May 17, 2011
    Hello:)

The temperature here in NSW (Australia) has risen and was wondering if my girls would like a sprinkler or maybe a small pool??? Would I have to worry about them drowning or getting too cold. Do they even swim???

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    When its really hot here my girls like the fan on them and they like puddles to cool their feet off. You can take shallow pans and put cool water in them. Also put frozen bottles around they like to lay up against them. Frozen peas and fruit are good too. And ice in their waterers.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Mine absolutely hate a sprinkler or mister but they love to get their feet wet when it's hot and it really helps to cool them. Can try using a shallow wading pool or pans, although mine won't get in any kind of container so I just make puddles for them to stand in. That combined with a fan in the barn keeps them comfortable in hot weather.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Only those with webbed feet like to swim. [​IMG] Open shaded areas are favorite spots on excessively warm days.

5. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    My hens don't care for the kiddie pool but some do. I use a mister in extremely hot conditions. I put the mister in a shaded area where the water will puddle, then I put a block of wood in the middle of the puddle and their feeder on the block. This encourages them to wade in the cool water, bringing their body temps down. Heat is rough on the birds, they manage much better in the cold temps.

6. Prisserbabe

Prisserbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I put a little pan with water but they didnt bother wading in it they just drank it [​IMG] so i agree with cafarmgirl maybe just make little puddles in mud [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    Someone on here a few weeks ago had a picture of chickens actually floating around in a swimming pool. Didn't look like a doctored picture, but nowadays it can be difficult to tell... [​IMG] But by all means - give them water to play in! My gals loved running through the sprinklers when it was warm out. If you do a pool, I wouldn't make it any deeper than ankle deep or they may drown. We had one drown once in the dogs water bucket, but it may have been 'cuz it was deep and a bucket and not much room to maneuver in. We don't know...

8. Prisserbabe

Prisserbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    Quote:[​IMG] im sorry to hear [​IMG]

9. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    Quote:[​IMG] im sorry to hear [​IMG]

Thank you.

10. mutantroosta

mutantroosta Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2011
    the hens here love to chase hail stones when its hailing.. till they get too big, then they hide under the truck and grab any that bounce into their reach

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by