Do chickens miss their old flock when they're rehomed?

Leghorns are pretty flighty and standoffish, in my experience. What I'd worry about is the fact that the color differences are so dramatic- chickens are very visual and will attack one who's "different".

Birds of a feather flock together.......

You'd need to do a really slow introduction period, after the quarantine and meanwhile your remaining Leghorn would be alone? Do you have more chickens? Might be really tough on her. I'm not saying it can't be done, you'll just have to be very patient!

I don't know a farm raised RIR is going to be any cuddlier either. I have 2, and while they will hang around me, they're not lap sitters.

I wish you were closer, I have some snuggly Ameraucanas I'd give you!

That "birds of a feather flock together" has been true in my experience.
I've always wanted a diverse colorful flock. I do notice the girls who are sisters-same breed, tend to pair up and hang out together...naturally, nothing anyone has done or encouraged. They just buddyup that way. Interesting. :)

Hello Know this is an old post hope people will still reply
I had to really sadly had to rehome my 3 girls from the allotment garden we went to see them morning and evening each day
Miss them so so much love them all, will they remember and miss me it is so hard
I took a picture before I went and think one was looking our way which has now really upset me like where you going? or unless she was listen to me saying love you all
When they got to the garden out of box they were looking about started to scratch about looking ok
wish I could go back and take some better pictures of them better end ending my memory but not allowed to

How have any of you been after having to rehome your animals?

Has anything helped you - if so what sort of thing?
Thanks

Hello Know this is an old post hope people will still reply
I had to really sadly had to rehome my 3 girls from the allotment garden we went to see them morning and evening each day
Miss them so so much love them all, will they remember and miss me it is so hard
I took a picture before I went and think one was looking our way which has now really upset me like where you going? or unless she was listen to me saying love you all
When they got to the garden out of box they were looking about started to scratch about looking ok
wish I could go back and take some better pictures of them better end ending my memory but not allowed to

How have any of you been after having to rehome your animals?

Has anything helped you - if so what sort of thing?
Thanks
Sorry you had to rehome your chickens. 🙁Amazing how much these creatures become beloved pets for many of us. I’ve had to rehome many birds over the years and I always wonder how they’re doing. Some folks I have sold or rehomed chickens to send update photos, which I always appreciate. Only thing that helps, like with most things, is time. Sending love and positive thoughts your way!❤️

Chickens don't like change, so there will always be a period of adjustment...sometimes an easy, smooth one and sometimes a rough one. But chickens really don't have enough higher brain function to "miss" anyone or anything. It's not like the poor dears can think "I wonder where so-and-so is, and why they gave me away?" LOL It's more like they react to their surroundings and routines and when things are different they get their feathers ruffled or their panties in a bit of a twist, but eventually they adjust. We can become very fond of them, and sometimes some of them act as if they are fond of us, but honestly...they don't think or remember. Which is a blessing if you think about it...otherwise how we would *ever* eat chicken?

Stuggling with it all hard loosing them so upsetting, as we had to travel to plot to look after them 2 times a day still go in morning at the minute to do some garden bits
Never really thought what to do after other than further ahead in time

Should of thought what to do after rehomed that evening - earlier got to settle them in the garden where they moved to I was brave most of day and felt ok but later
After leaving way home think I was shocked - thought look at photo - nice but hard wish I took more of them there in the garden got really emotional and talk others want to go back wish I could go see them again but cant - stressed my head out should of thought talked more how they were what they were up to - one photo looked like one of my girls looking our way may of been listening - made me feel guilty like she wanted to come with us or why you leaving
so want them to know I love them so much - yep my girls got to my heart I always bond a lot with any animal I have

I stopped eating chicken/ meat when I lost my first chicken to heaven it was so upsetting loosing her that put me off cause know what they are like

Will get some updates with photos

Back
Top Bottom