Do chickens mourn?

I am new to the group. I had 7 chickens and one rooster. Yesterday, something came into my yard and snatched up one of my most social hens. They are about 4 mo old now.
I let them free range during the day and put them to bed in their coop at night because I thought that was when the predators come out. The rooster seems very upset! I kept them in their coop area today for safety reasons! What do I do now? Get another chick?
Welcome to the forum. You should be sure to check out the Washington Page and say Hello!
welcome-byc.gif

When I started with chickens last year we had 6 pullets and one cockerel. They were locked up at night and free ranged during the day. One day a neighbor saw a coyote in our yard and we lost our sweet little cockerel. The pullets missed him, but more than that they were afraid to go outside for about a week. I'm sure seeing their buddy carried away in the mouth of a huge coyote freaked them out.

We quickly found out that there are coyotes out all day around here. It wouldn't surprise me if you have the same issue in Lake Stevens. Now our flock (which is much larger than it was a year ago) has to stay in a coop until afternoon. We had hoped to be able to free range them all day, but with 4 acres of pasture, it is impossible to fence it so no threats can get in. Despite the precautions, we lost another rooster last month to a coyote. My neighbors have lost ducks to them as well. You might have to consider leaving your chickens inside until late morning so you don't keep losing them.

There is also another thread about battling predators if you want to check that out too.

I was just wondering about this very subject. I've had a flock of 5 for 3 years. My two easter eggers were close and the one was just killed last week by my bird dog! She had somehow flown out of her run. Her flock mate flew out with her but I got out there before she was killed also! I think she saw the whole thing though and she definitely seems depressed. She is eating and running with the other 3 but she has not laid in a week. Poor little girl.

I have a black tailed white Japanese hen who's little two day old chick got stepped on as the birds were going into the coop from rain the poor little hen just sat on the ramp of the pop door outside in the rain sqwaking for over two hours for her baby. it just melted my heart

I feel that they are capable of it, being social animals and all, but every bird is different. I feel that some birds with close bonds would definitely be sad about a loss, but some birds might just not care. Two of my birds who are best friends don't like being apart, but some who fight more often couldn't care less if one leaves. I see this when I take a bird of two to a show or educational event and observe the reactions of the rest of the flock. In time however, it seems like they just accept loss and move on with their lives. This is just my opinion however as I am not an animal psychology expert.

I recently saved 2 chickens and took them in as my own. I have a cat but I didn't think she cared about the chickens because when he was around them she did nothing but act normal. My cat gets afraid of everything so I didn't think she even wanted anything to do with the chickens. One day I thought the cat was inside but I was wrong, my cat was outside with the 2 chickens. She killed one and I felt so bad. The other chicken was really close with the one who died. They would do everything togeher. The chicken did everything normaly even without the other chicken by its side. I can't help but wonder if my alive chicken thinks or even wonders what happened to its pal. What do you think?

New here hello. Ive had my girls 17wks now. I own a Rottweiler and a heeler mix who pay them no mind and have been alone with them all day loose in the backyard.till they get locked in at night of course. Last night something prompted the dogs to kill two of my precious girls. Im devestated. Id love some advice on how to get my girls bonded to another two chicks. Whats makes it more difficult is a bought four big girls together raised them then got two bantams together and they were bonded. A bantam was killed and my red sex link so now i have a bantam who desperately needs a buddy and im hoping to get a chick bonded with my three big girls. Any tips? (Side note: never trusting my dogs again-this was my fault)

I mistakenly left my dog out while my 7 girls were free ranging and she killed 1. Five are exhibiting normal behavior, but the one closest to the dead one isn't acting herself. She just lays around hiding behind things or stays in the coop. She comes out for treats and I've seen her drinking and eatin, and she's not injured that I can visibly see. I was just wondering how long her hiding might last. I feel terrible for my mistake and I'm hopeful she will get back to normal soon.

One of my hens passed this week, I only had 4 and they were extremely bonded. None of the remaining three laid eggs for two days. Think they are sad in their own way and that created enough stress for them not to lay any eggs. They are back to normal today, all three laid an egg and are out about foraging. I will be getting two new young hens next week, one of them will be the same as the one I lost, a Silver Laced Wyandotte, and the other a Light Brahma. I wasn’t going to add to the flock this soon but I feel that the longer the original three have alone the harder it will be to add new girls. So, I’m jumping right in and by next week I will have five. See how I snuck an extra in there? LOL!
I didn’t want one traveling alone, so it made sense to get two....

Back
Top Bottom