Do chickens nap?

Some bumblefoot cases can be treated with Epsom salts soaks to soften the scab, and then removing the scab and the kernel of dried pus inside. But many serious cases may require soaking, and the surgical removal with a scalpel, very sharp knife, or a biopsy punch. Having Chlorhexidene or Betadine for disinfecting the skin, and disposable scalpel and blades, which can be found at Tractor Supply and other feed stores. Here is a good article with much of that information:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/

Mine nap frequently.

Here's Hazel snoozing, with Orca coming in for a sneak attack !

IMG_2594 (1024x682).jpg

Some bumblefoot cases can be treated with Epsom salts soaks to soften the scab, and then removing the scab and the kernel of dried pus inside. But many serious cases may require soaking, and the surgical removal with a scalpel, very sharp knife, or a biopsy punch. Having Chlorhexidene or Betadine for disinfecting the skin, and disposable scalpel and blades, which can be found at Tractor Supply and other feed stores. Here is a good article with much of that information:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/
Thank you for your advice and the article was very thorough! Looks like I am headed to TSC and Atwood’s tomorrow for surgical supplies. I am enlisting the help of my husband and hopefully another guy friend to help with the surgery while I hold Pimp.

Pimp is currently in his own coop and pen (because I inherited 2 roosters and a hen, and then I added 5 more hens which made the alpha rooster, Duke, be more aggressive towards Pimp. Had I known I wouldn’t have gotten more hens.)

I should be able to put him back in his pen once he is wrapped up?

When I go to TSC tomorrow for the surgical supplies for Pimp, I will look at getting something to put Gloria in, like a small crate that I can add to the coop but I can monitor her. I have plastic totes that I was prepared to use for a chicken sick bay but I feel like the small kennel will be better for her.

Do you think a rice sock will help her? Should I put her in with Pimp for closer observation during the day and then the small kennel at night?

It’s been raining off and on today and supposed to tomorrow. Should I be keeping the chickens inside the coop out of the rainy weather?

Is it bad for them to be wet most of the day and then go into the coop at night? The coop is dry but I do have 2 windows for ventilation that are at roost level. Should I cover the windows half way to keep them warm?

Oh my poor boy 😢 🐓 Someone please help me. I’m not prepared to do a surgery on Pimps foot. 🦶

While it won't be pleasant at all but it really is needed.
If it is within your reach financially SOME (very few but some) vets will do it. It will take a lot of calling around to find one.

I do understand it is quite upsetting to be new to chickens and have issues right off the bat. :hugs

Hang in there and tackle one thing at a time. You have help with Pimp's foot which is awesome!!

For Gloria......I think making her comfortable is step one.
A crate for a few days so you can monitor her closely while it may annoy her won't do any harm at all. It is important to know if she is eating and how much she eats. I would use a measuring cup so you can gauge how much she actually ate.
Monitor her poop as well please.

It would be a good idea to get a weight on her. The easiest way is to weigh yourself then weigh again while holding her.

When she DOES walk is she moving like the others or more like a penguin?

While it won't be pleasant at all but it really is needed.
If it is within your reach financially SOME (very few but some) vets will do it. It will take a lot of calling around to find one.

I do understand it is quite upsetting to be new to chickens and have issues right off the bat. :hugs

Hang in there and tackle one thing at a time. You have help with Pimp's foot which is awesome!!

For Gloria......I think making her comfortable is step one.
A crate for a few days so you can monitor her closely while it may annoy her won't do any harm at all. It is important to know if she is eating and how much she eats. I would use a measuring cup so you can gauge how much she actually ate.
Monitor her poop as well please.

It would be a good idea to get a weight on her. The easiest way is to weigh yourself then weigh again while holding her.

When she DOES walk is she moving like the others or more like a penguin?

Thank you so much for your encouragement and advice. When I decided to jump in with both feet I didn’t realize how much I would care for these chickens. I thought I’d just give it a whirl. Now their like my kids and I want to help them as much as possible. It seems like one issue is tackled I immediately have another. I have actually learned a about chickens in the past 6 weeks crash course of our life.

I am very blessed to have a husband that supports me and is willing to fix Pimps bumblefoot. He has came such a long way since putting him in his own pen. His feathers are growing and they are so beautiful, just like his personality. It’s awesome to see him come out of his shell.

My husband is also going to help me with Gloria’s situation. She is in the roost tonight with the rest of the flock, on the very end so I can see her poop in the morning. We may just put her in Pimps pen since I know what his poop looks like and his pen is pretty small.
I will observe her walk tomorrow more carefully. When she was running away from me, it was a normal stride but while walking around she looked like a penguin. So I will do a more thorough observation tomorrow and let you know.

Back
Top Bottom