Do chickens nap?

Thank you so much for your encouragement and advice. When I decided to jump in with both feet I didn’t realize how much I would care for these chickens. I thought I’d just give it a whirl. Now their like my kids and I want to help them as much as possible. It seems like one issue is tackled I immediately have another. I have actually learned a about chickens in the past 6 weeks crash course of our life.

I am very blessed to have a husband that supports me and is willing to fix Pimps bumblefoot. He has came such a long way since putting him in his own pen. His feathers are growing and they are so beautiful, just like his personality. It’s awesome to see him come out of his shell.

My husband is also going to help me with Gloria’s situation. She is in the roost tonight with the rest of the flock, on the very end so I can see her poop in the morning. We may just put her in Pimps pen since I know what his poop looks like and his pen is pretty small.
I will observe her walk tomorrow more carefully. When she was running away from me, it was a normal stride but while walking around she looked like a penguin. So I will do a more thorough observation tomorrow and let you know.

You are welcome. Helping each other is a gigantic part of BYC.
I lost both my Delawares to reproductive issues. It totally drains the joy for a bit.

One other thing.....that roo...Pimp....I think he is at least 3 but likely older. That means the hen may be older as well.

They CAN live really long lives but most don't. Just prepare yourself that for every beginning there will be an end. :hugs

I have an 11 year old bantam that I worry over all the time even though she seems healthy as a horse.

Bumblefoot surgery is not that hard, but it helps to get everything out and prepared before you start. It helps to have a helper. I am a nurse, so it wasn’t so hard for me, but it gets easier with each case. There is a lot of squeezing involved once the bumble is exposed, to try to get it all out. I usually don’t do surgery much anymore, unless a chicken limps, or it looks very red and swollen. A scab on the foot pad only usually is not enough for the invasive surgery. If you have and can afford a vet, that would be easier if the vet knows chickens. Good luck.

You are welcome. Helping each other is a gigantic part of BYC.
I lost both my Delawares to reproductive issues. It totally drains the joy for a bit.

One other thing.....that roo...Pimp....I think he is at least 3 but likely older. That means the hen may be older as well.

They CAN live really long lives but most don't. Just prepare yourself that for every beginning there will be an end. :hugs

I have an 11 year old bantam that I worry over all the time even though she seems healthy as a horse.

I definitely feel drained from all of these issues and haven’t had a chance to enjoy them. We are entering a rainy spell for the next week so I need to make decisions fast.

My new vet actually sees chickens! We talked a little today and he is going to call me tomorrow with a breakdown on pricing and procedure for me. I feel Pimps has suffered enough and needs to have this taken care of by someone who is qualified to do the task. I’m running over the pros and cons to make the best decision in Pimps best interest. If he is 3 yrs old he’s had a pretty tough go around.

Gloria was moving around more today in the outside pen but still occasionally napping in that hunched over position. The coop has legs so all the chickens can get out of the rain or heat. That’s where I saw her napping. Her stride was sometimes a bit stiff but not quite penguin and her poop is very runny from what I saw on the scrape board. I can’t put her in with Pimp because of the rain (we need to get another tarp to get his area dry) so I’m monitoring as best I can in between rain storms. She is eating, drinking water and even hopped up onto a plastic dog house today. That’s got to be a good sign, right? Maybe wishful thinking.

Bumblefoot surgery is not that hard, but it helps to get everything out and prepared before you start. It helps to have a helper. I am a nurse, so it wasn’t so hard for me, but it gets easier with each case. There is a lot of squeezing involved once the bumble is exposed, to try to get it all out. I usually don’t do surgery much anymore, unless a chicken limps, or it looks very red and swollen. A scab on the foot pad only usually is not enough for the invasive surgery. If you have and can afford a vet, that would be easier if the vet knows chickens. Good luck.
My vet can take care of the bumblefoot and we are talking more tomorrow. I think taking him to the vet is the best route for us, seeing how we have no idea what we’re doing. Just hoping it doesn’t cost an arm and leg. I will let you know how it goes. 😊

I have a Cinnamon Queen hen that has been “napping”. She doesn’t lay eggs, I’m not sure if it’s because she was malnourished when we got her or if she is older than the previous owners told us. I was told she was between 1.5 - 2 years old. I do see my other Rhode Island Red hens nap occasionally when doing their dust baths.

Do chickens nap? 🤔
Yes they do nap ,especially in the sun

I definitely feel drained from all of these issues and haven’t had a chance to enjoy them. We are entering a rainy spell for the next week so I need to make decisions fast.

My new vet actually sees chickens! We talked a little today and he is going to call me tomorrow with a breakdown on pricing and procedure for me. I feel Pimps has suffered enough and needs to have this taken care of by someone who is qualified to do the task. I’m running over the pros and cons to make the best decision in Pimps best interest. If he is 3 yrs old he’s had a pretty tough go around.

Gloria was moving around more today in the outside pen but still occasionally napping in that hunched over position. The coop has legs so all the chickens can get out of the rain or heat. That’s where I saw her napping. Her stride was sometimes a bit stiff but not quite penguin and her poop is very runny from what I saw on the scrape board. I can’t put her in with Pimp because of the rain (we need to get another tarp to get his area dry) so I’m monitoring as best I can in between rain storms. She is eating, drinking water and even hopped up onto a plastic dog house today. That’s got to be a good sign, right? Maybe wishful thinking.
I also have lost some to ovarian cancer. One had such a blockage it caused sour crop. Poor thing was miserable. Took to vet & they put her to sleep. I then took her to WA research bird center & they did a necropsy to make sure it was not something contagious. Hate to see anything suffer. Yes it was costly but I don't mind paying. They bring us such joy

My vet can take care of the bumblefoot and we are talking more tomorrow. I think taking him to the vet is the best route for us, seeing how we have no idea what we’re doing. Just hoping it doesn’t cost an arm and leg. I will let you know how it goes. 😊

You might (if you are interested) see if the vet would let you watch the procedure. My chicken vet (who does home visits) taught me several things and will even have me do some things on my own (like administering medications or how to hold them to examine them). It did a lot to boost my confidence as a chicken newbie.

I hope the best for your one who is not feeling well. I have a laboratory relatively close to me where I can take poop samples and they will do a parasite check for like $12. But I'm sure your vet can advise you.

I have a Cinnamon Queen hen that has been “napping”. She doesn’t lay eggs, I’m not sure if it’s because she was malnourished when we got her or if she is older than the previous owners told us. I was told she was between 1.5 - 2 years old. I do see my other Rhode Island Red hens nap occasionally when doing their dust baths.

Do chickens nap? 🤔
I think mine do

Honestly there are so many explicit, step by step, easy to understand videos out there on how to do the surgery for the bumblefoot. Personally, I would do it myself. A vet is going to charge a LOT. I know we couldn't afford a vet, and after seeing multiple videos, if you have the right supplies all at the ready like someone here advised, you and hubby can do this! Lots of help here too.

Back
Top Bottom