Do chickens suffer from strokes?

Kacey's Krazee's

Songster
Aug 8, 2009
Normangee, Texas
I have a 4 y/o Gold laced Wyandotte hen. She is near the bottom of the pecking order. She is now with a flock of hens over a y/o. The original flock she was with, she seemed to keep herself out of the mix for pecking order. Don't mess with me, I won't mess with you attitude. The flock she is with currently, was raised next to the original flock, and when they were intergrated, about 8 months ago, she and 4 others were mixed in without incident. As time has progressed, I have been watching her lose status, and most of the younger birds seem to " have it out" for her, and harass and chase her. She was always on the lookout for the next attack. She has been losing weight, and I believe they have started keeping her away from feed and water. 3 days ago, she seemed to be having trouble keeping her balance. Tipping forward, backward and to the right. I fixed up another coop for her to go to until she became stronger. When I then picked her up, she was so much lighter than I thought she was, and while in the other coop, she ate, drank, and pooped . She was able to get up on the roost, and seemed better, I didn't see any dizziness or weakness. Last evening, she seemed tippy again, while on the roost, and when I checked on her this morning, she could hardly make it around with out falling over, falling on her chest, etc. She is still interested in eating. Her tail is up, her eyes are bright. Can't find anything wrong with her legs,feet or head injury. That was why I have wondered if she could have had a stroke? All the tension she has been feeling from the other hens, compounded by lack of routine food/drink, due to my inattentiveness. She is really a nice hen. Quiet, not a troublemaker like some of those red birds! I can keep her in the other coop by herself, until she gets stronger, do you think this will pass?

Kacey

It could pass if she gets her strength back. When you say red birds, did you put her in a flock of Rhode Island Reds or Golden Comets? They are probably far to aggressive for her.

Hopefully this isn't a Marek's flair-up due to all the stress.

Most of the flock is barn yard mixes, from easter eggers, production reds, and Jersey Giant. Several generations crossed back and forth. I also have 4 light Brahama, and 4 production red, full strength. Those are the trouble makers. The others then seem to follow suit.

I was just out checking her again, while putting them up for the night. She did wander out into the outside part of her coop, and then came back in and drank water. She seemed to want to get up on the roost, I picked her up and placed her on it. Then decided to put her on the lowest part. She came down on her own. I turned on the light inside, and she became interested in the roost again, and jumped up again. She seemed to stick, but unsure for how long.

I guess it a wait and see for her.

Back
Top Bottom