1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do chooks and ducks like broccolli?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AHappychick, Jan 27, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I only like the floretts so I have a bunch of uncooked stems, can I just chop it up and feed it to them? or should I just compost it?

2. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    My chickens and ducks love it! Most of the time mine get theirs cooked for a warm treat when it's cold outside. I'm sure they'd like it raw as well.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My ducks don't like broccoli, but they like cabbage. Go figure.

4. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:Maybe I should steam it or boil it?

5. PokingMyPancreas

PokingMyPancreas Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    Middlesex County, NJ
    Steam or boil it. Then mix it up with something else. Mine will only eat broccoli if it's hidden with other food.

6. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    well its all gone, they must have likesd it [​IMG]
    I boiled it until soft and threw it in with the left over apple pieces my ds had dropped to the floor.

7. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    If you could have seen my brocolli last year and what they did to it!! Yes....they love it!! [​IMG]

8. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Our chickens eat brocolli quite readily. We raise a market garden and sell at local farmers markets Spring - Fall. So, we have a lot of brocolli plants at times. When the plants are finished producing heads and florets, I pull them whole and toss into the chicken pasture areas. They eat leaves, stalks, and the root ball.

Interesting about how they eat the stalks on whole plants - they start at the tip and peck, peck, peck their way down to the base. They do leave the very bottom, about 4 inches above the root ball.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by