Do cleaned eggs need to be put in the fridge?

drewskimac

Songster
6 Years
Oct 7, 2014
Siloam Springs, AR
I know this has been asked 1000 times, and I know that if I wash my eggs with warm water they must be put in the fridge. However, I have been cleaning mine by scrubbbing them with steel wool and no water. Do these ones still need to be put in the fridge? Does theis remove the bloom or is it water soluble?

Thanks!

1,001 times! And you will never get the same answer!
smile.png

When I first researched this I ran across an experiment/article from Mother Earth News http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/how-to-store-fresh-eggs-zmaz77ndzgoe.aspx that may be helpful to you.

I, personally, keep the eggs that I am going to cook with gently wiped off with cotton cloth (if needed) and on the counter (no water, no oil, no fridge). I have had a few go sour this way, but they were out for several weeks.

We also sell eggs roadside. Since there are so many different 'opinions' on whether the eggs should be washed, coated, refrigerated, etc. we take all precautions with the eggs we sell. They are collected right after laid, washed in cool water, coated with organic coconut oil, and placed in the fridge. To my knowledge, none of these have gone sour, and have lasted for several months in the fridge.

I know this has been asked 1000 times, and I know that if I wash my eggs with warm water they must be put in the fridge. However, I have been cleaning mine by scrubbbing them with steel wool and no water. Do these ones still need to be put in the fridge? Does theis remove the bloom or is it water soluble?

Thanks!
I think that abrasive scrubbing would compromise the bloom....
....and not necessarily remove all the bacteria present when an egg has poop on it.

IMO, if you're going to 'clean' it, go all out and use your hands to remove everything from the entire shell under warm running water, air dry...then refrigerate.

Back
Top Bottom