Do crop bound capsules actually work?

Chicken Lass

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 22, 2009
Hi, I have a hen that is crop bound and/or has a sour crop. Can't find a decent vet and it's way too expensive to take her for surgery. Do the crop bound capsules work at all? Has anyone tried them with success? Thanks

I did a search for "crop capsules" on here and found several threads about them. You might find it helpful to try that.
smile.png

Did they end up working? I've been battling sour crop for a month now with one of my hens. I have done everything from flushing, crop mobility injections, antibiotics, ACV to acidophilus supplements.

I'm currently feeding the crop bound pills to my chickens. I had changed feed about a month ago. The feed bag said that I need not add grit, is this factual? A week ago had fed a few pills to one of the girls that was the worst of eight, it seemed to work good. It really does break up an impacted crop. I'll have more info in the next few days

Crop bound capsules contain docusate sodium, a type of stool softener. Colace is a common brand of them. I have used them with success, but if the problem exists in the gizzard, or the intestinal tract, treatment may not work. If the crop is left impacted for too long the opposite can develop, a fungal/bacterial infection follows (sour crop), tissues become irritated and inflamed, then enteritis takes place in the intestinal tract.

If caught early enough, antibiotic therapy in addition to crop bound capsules can help the bird overcome the problem. Nystatin (trade name Medistatin) is used to combat fungal problems. Injections of LA-200, water treatments of both Bacitricin (BMD Soluble) and Neomycin mixed equally have been known to help overcome enteritis.

Also, I do not recommend the use of oil fed to the bird during crop impaction. Mix water, oil, and other undigested particles in the crop, and you end up with a gummy mass. Not a good idea, though often recommended.

Back
Top Bottom