do dark yellow or orange yolks mean they are healthier.

I think you can contribute that nice orange color to the amount of Marigold in the Purina Layer feed.
You could be absolutely correct, but I would think the free ranging helps, too. If I recall correctly, the eggs from our chickens when I was a kid (and that was a long time ago) had deep orange yolks and all we ever fed them was scratch.

You could be absolutely correct, but I would think the free ranging helps, too. If I recall correctly, the eggs from our chickens when I was a kid (and that was a long time ago) had deep orange yolks and all we ever fed them was scratch.
No arguments from me, all depends on what they eat. I think this year I might plant a section of the garden just Marigolds.

For some reason I'm a bit fearful of the darker yellow/orange yolk eggs...... like, I feel as if they are somehow 'rotten'. I know it's just me and being used to store-bought eggs. I did eventually started to eat my own eggs.

Mine free range daily nearly all day, but are fed Purina layer pellets with occasional treats of mealworms, sunflower seeds, leftover veggies, etc. I think you can figure out which egg is store bought and which egg one of my chickens laid.
View attachment 1635981
That's a hell of a nice color by the way. :thumbsup

Darker yolks mean one thing...... your chickens diet is higher in Carotenoids. The healthiest chicken in the world could be eating a diet that makes them lay an egg with a yolk so light, that it is almost off-white.

If you want yellower yolks, you feed things like marigold, orange peels, corn, etc. If you want them more orange, you feed more alfalfa, lobster shells, Chile powder, paprika, or some other type of greens, etc..

In the US, yolks are A LOT darker than a lot of other places, because we feed diets that are high in yellow corn. Diets with more wheat, barley, rye, etc., will produce much lighter yolks, even with free range birds. This is why yolks are so much lighter in most parts of Europe, and other places that use a lot of small grains.

Back
Top Bottom