do dark yellow or orange yolks mean they are healthier.

Check the values for glyphosphate half-life. Longer than 3 weeks. I have used the stuff a lot in the past. Really looking for other options now.

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/archive/glyphotech.html#env
Good article! Yes it seems a bit more compicated than that! Glyphosate had a median half-life of 8 to 9 days in leaf litter of red alder and salmonberry sprayed with Roundup®.51 I think this was the sort of stuff I'd read. There is also this which is actually quite heartening if the chooks get out:
An acute oral toxicity study found that a single dose of technical grade glyphosate is practically non-toxic to bobwhite quail, with an LD50 of greater than 2000 mg/kg.67

Good article! Yes it seems a bit more compicated than that! Glyphosate had a median half-life of 8 to 9 days in leaf litter of red alder and salmonberry sprayed with Roundup®.51 I think this was the sort of stuff I'd read. There is also this which is actually quite heartening if the chooks get out:
An acute oral toxicity study found that a single dose of technical grade glyphosate is practically non-toxic to bobwhite quail, with an LD50 of greater than 2000 mg/kg.67
Why are we seeing so much concern about residue in the environment and potential issues with humans and insects?

I just read the entire article and have one thing to add ,IMHO all things considered one of the biggest benefits of free ranging is the exercise the chickens get that helps them metabolize their food intake better thus healthier birds and healthier eggs.The main reason I free range is exercise I can,and do feed them a well balanced diet,it is the getting out and being chickens makes them healthy.

Wow a year is a long time, I think that they would have gone from the plants well before that! Glyphosphate (round up) has a 3 week time to be gone.

ETA Just thinking in terms of the benefits of free ranging - I'd be looking into the life of the chemicals used and get them out as soon as I could.

Let's just say I prefer to be cautious. And it wasn't Round Up, it was heavy duty fertilizer in addition to insecticides. All these chemicals to keep grass green over a septic drain field??? I don't use chemicals at all, only naturally occurring organics. That and the high population of hawks in my area makes free ranging risky. Also, a friend of mine who is a farmer in a town very close to mine just told me yesterday that there is an increasing population of eagles in the area as well. I'm sure they will be looking for a free chicken dinner.

Last edited:
I just read the entire article and have one thing to add ,IMHO all things considered one of the biggest benefits of free ranging is the exercise the chickens get that helps them metabolize their food intake better thus healthier birds and healthier eggs.The main reason I free range is exercise I can,and do feed them a well balanced diet,it is the getting out and being chickens makes them healthy.
Why are we seeing so much concern about residue in the environment and potential issues with humans and insects?

Thank you. There has been a lot of back and forth on this issue of chemical pesticides. Does anyone remember Rachel Carson and her book "Silent Spring?" Would you eat anything dusted with Round Up? You likely do unless you grow your own vegetables organically. My main point is that you can raise your chickens in the way you feel is right. I will continue to raise mine as free of unnatural / man made chemicals as possible.

this is what I did this morning... left are 2 eggs from the Organic line of a certain company.. expensive brown eggs, wont name a name yet.. right are 2 of mine... I think i read somewhere that darker yolk is healthier , has more of the good stuff in it.. Is it true? I dont know.. All I know is that my eggs from my free ranging birds taste much better, and have a shell that you actually have to bash a little harder to get open. And mine are bigger ...2 hens ,2 eggs a day.. perfect:)View attachment 1642072

WOW! That $6/doz is such a ripoff indeed. A side by side is awesome, thanks @toredano . LOL @Bald Bee Man has a point lol... let's not get into that... but I swear I can taste the "love" in mine :).

Jokes aside, raw, which I do a lot in shakes, I can taste it, mine seem to be a tad sweeter and less chalky.

I've also noticed that Greek yogurt seems to increase color and yolk density. Anecdotal but I stopped for a white a noticed the difference.. I think. Anecdotal again. :).

Problem with yogurt, it's a messy business:
Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 11.42.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 11.42.13 PM.png

Let's just say I prefer to be cautious. And it wasn't Round Up, it was heavy duty fertilizer in addition to insecticides. All these chemicals to keep grass green over a septic drain field??? I don't use chemicals at all,
OMG you poor thing, I'd hate to know that was in my ground :hugsand yes I think I'd be doing the same as you with that level of previous use. I'm the same - I dont' use anything at all - compost layer at the beginning of the spring and nettle tea type fertilisers. I hope my original post didn't suggest I was in any way fond of chemicals :oops:- it is actually the opposite! The one exception is we have used round up on is our Japenese Knot weed infestation as part of our 3 pronged ongoing battle (3 years now and still not rid of it) but that is a whole other story!

Sorry a bit off topic OP!

Problem with yogurt, it's a messy business:
Sure is!

OMG you poor thing, I'd hate to know that was in my ground :hugsand yes I think I'd be doing the same as you with that level of previous use. I'm the same - I dont' use anything at all - compost layer at the beginning of the spring and nettle tea type fertilisers. I hope my original post didn't suggest I was in any way fond of chemicals :oops:- it is actually the opposite! The one exception is we have used round up on is our Japenese Knot weed infestation as part of our 3 pronged ongoing battle (3 years now and still not rid of it) but that is a whole other story!

Sorry a bit off topic OP!

Sure is!

This is my first year in this house and the previous owner was quite the flower gardener. Don't get me wrong, I like flowers, but if you can't eat them they are not a priority. I kicked back and observed all the plants that emerged this past Spring and Summer so this year I'll know what I'm dealing with. The lawn chemicals that were left behind by the previous owner really had me concerned. I found someone to take them off my hands and far away from my property. So this spring I will be creating a safe ranging "yard" so my little flock can get out of their run and chase bugs around. Dogs aren't a problem in my area as the neighbors are pretty responsible since they have chickens themselves, raccoons, hawks and now perhaps eagles are the biggest threat. For pesticides I use herbs. Try sprinkling dried rosemary on the next gang of ants that cross your thresh hold. Cheap, effective, safe for humans and chickens and smells good too.

Back
Top Bottom