Do different breeds of chickens get along with eachother?

You can make all the plans you want, but in the end, you just have to handle the flock you wind up with. Temperament and instincts vary a great deal from chicken to chicken, even within the same breed. Some people have put chickens together without introductions and chickens were killed. It can get really ugly. Other people haven't had much trouble. All you can do is make the best choices you can and then keep an eye on them. You just have to be prepared to deal with what comes up.

Everyone knows there are dogs that would never hurt another living soul, of any species. There are dogs that kill other species, other dogs and even people. It's the same with chickens. How you handle them makes a difference, but so does their individual temperament and instincts.

I am going to be a new chicken owner and was wondering if my 5 different breeds would get along as well. They are all within 3 lbs of each other so I think it will be okay.

Last edited:
Well, first bit of wisdom to really understand is that Pecking Order behavior is necessary for chickens.  It is The Chicken Way.  As painful as it is for us humans to observe it, if we mess with it, it just prolongs the process.

Each and every time you change their location (new coop, move from brooder to coop, etc.) they start it over again.  Every time you introduce another bird, it starts over again.  That's one reason why it's best to introduce more than one chicken at a time, rather than introducing one, and then another later, and another later, etc.  Try to do a couple or more at a time, so the pecking order process isn't keeping your flock all a'flutter for a prolonged period of time.

The method I use is this:

First, quarantine new birds.  The recommended time period is 30 days, and this is away from your flock, because some stuff is air-borne. 

After that, put the bird(s) into a separate coop, either next to the chicken run or inside it.  If you set it up inside the run, use garden stakes and some chicken wire to make a small pen around the "integration/segregation" coop.  Give them their own feeder and waterer.  Keep them there for two weeks.

During that time, they will see the original flock through the chicken wire, and the original chickens will see the new ones, as well.  They'll hear and smell each other, too.  And be able to do chest bumps through the chicken wire but NOT injure anybody.  There will be interest, and posturing, and maybe even some pecking through the chicken wire, but not enough to injure anybody. 

After two weeks, take down the temporary fencing and let them mingle.  The new chickens will not be "Strangers" any more, and most of the pecking order business will be conducted around feeders and waterers, so keep the second set up for the new birds for a while. 

There will be some squawking, some running, some pecking, but probably nothing more than that.  Keep an eye out for any blood-letting; if there is no bloodshed, leave them alone to complete the process, no matter how loud somebody squawks, how much somebody runs and hides, or how much chest-bumping or neck feather flaring goes on.  That HAS to occur, whether it bothers US or not.

Do not interfere unless there is blood shed.  Feather plucking is normal.

Thanks for that advise - i also needed the information to add two pullets to my existing small flock ..., :)

I got 4 new chicks and put them in with my 2 silkies and the one silkie chases then around and pecks them. Why i dont like it...
hit.gif
Well she stop this cause i have another coop coming and was going to keep the silkies by them selfs...

well i have bantams and some fighting hens and everytime the baby bantams come out one chicken signals them out and pecks them therefore makes it hard for them to come out of the coop what can i do? my poor babys just want to play.

well i have bantams and some fighting hens and everytime the baby bantams come out one chicken signals them out and pecks them therefore makes it hard for them to come out of the coop what can i do? my poor babys just want to play.
How old are your bantams? If they are babies and the others are adults that could be the cause of your problems. Adult chickens do not do well with babies that are not their own.

yeah...chickens don't know what breed they are....soem don't even know they are chickens...
This is true. Vast differences in size, age, and athletic abilities will cause more problems than strain or breed.

Of course the chickens' strain, age, or breed is responsible for most of these vast differences in size or athletic abilities.

A Polish hen or roo let's say with its feathered Easter bonnet may be quite blind to most threats coming from the flanks or from behind and therefor it becomes the flock's punching bag.

Other fancy, frizzy or frizzle breeds are also easy targets for the same reason.

The same is also true for most bantam breeds who can be quickly intimidated or roughed up by a larger chicken. .

No, chickens are not especially biased or raciest. But regardless of a chickens' Race, Color, Religion, or Source of National Origin, chickens are very quick to take physical advantage of their weaker flock members when presented with an easy opportunity to dominate them.

I think that the Lacy Round Head is the most handsome of all the Pea Headed or Pea Combed fowl. Go for it if you would like one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom