Do different horse breeds have different temperments?

Smartie_Pants

Songster
11 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Madisonville, KY
If I ever get a horse, it will be years from now, but I was just thinking about them. Is it like different dog breeds or is it all in the handling? I LOVE the look of the "indian" breeds, like the Appaloosa, paints, etc. Are they calm, friendly, smart?

I love paints. They are smart but sometimes you have to assert yourselve because they will tak advantage. I have a paint and he has been one of the coolest horses I have owned. Appys I have not really been around too many of them. I hope this helps.

Yes, absolutely they do. I have Thoroughbreds, a quarter horse and a miniature. All of them are different. The TB's are high strung, the QH is gentle and sweet, the mini is a baby so that is her excuse..lol.

In general, Quarter Horses are known to be nice pleasure horses and easy to work with. Of course, with anything, there are exceptions..some are hard headed and high strung. Paints are nice too.

Very much so. I've also thought the qtrhorse is the Golden Retriever of horses.

I have Paso Finos and they are very keen, energetic and focused. I like that. I also like herding dogs.
wink.png

Then there are always individuals within a breed. So when you finally go shopping, that will be the final test.

Yes, different breeds have different temperaments that are common for their breeds. However, they are also idividuals. They don't always follow the norm. Be very careful of buying a horse based on colors or markings alone. Many breeders breed for color and color alone, and often that results in a beautifully colored animal with health problems or temperament problems. Don't get me wrong. There are many flashy lookers out there with great temperaments, but be careful. In our area it's almost impossible to get a nice paint or appaloosa because of stupid breeders that breed for color alone. I would recommend that you get to know some experienced horse people in your area, and when it is time to buy let them help you. The horse in my avatar is a Haflinger. I have never met a Haffie that I didn't like. They have the calm personality of a draft without the height. My DH rides a Belgian/Quarterhorse cross that is an awesome trail horse too. The Haffie and the cross go where ever you point their noses. They are the only horses that we have owned that didn't have to be taught to do water crossings. They just walked right in on the first try. We ride in very remote areas and often cross rivers and streams so we were impressed by that. I also have a semi-retired grade pinto (possibly a Paint/Mustang) and a semi retired Standarbred that are both awesome. My daughter has an awesome Arab. A friend keeps 2 Quarter horses at my place. One is way too high strung and one is great.

I hope you find your dream horse. I would also recommend that you not get a very young horse unless you are experienced.

Nature provides the raw material, but nuture mold the final shape.
smile.png

One of my thoroughbreds is very sensible - in my view, the best kind of smart for a horse, but the other is very silly. They both came off the track, but are very different in temperment!

Most paints are simply quarter horses and, like the garden variety QH, similar to golden retreivers. Some QH, however, are bred to race the quarter mile and can be pretty spirited and not so calm. Some QH are bred to rope or cut and can be atonishingly intelligent about their job, but may be calm on the trail.

For calm and friendly, it's hard to beat a draft horse. Mine is a percheron/belgian cross and sweeter than candy. As long as there is a horse in front of her, I can put kids, grannies, and first-timers on her without worry. She is not smart, however, so she has trouble coping with new things when she and I are out alone. Strangely, she always spins to the left before she bolts.
lau.gif

Yes they do!
smile.png

One thing we didn't know is that Quarter Horses differ so much from each other. Perhaps it's because some are crossed with Thoroughbreds (makes an Appendix Quarter Horse) and those are not anything like the old fashioned stocky Quarter Horses.
So when somebody tells you all QHs are just gentle and sweet -don't believe it!
lol.png

If you lived closer, I would let you take my Haffie for test ride. You would be hooked! People make fun of my little tank, but they change their mind on the trail. We rode at Custer State Park last year and while the tall spindly legged horses stumbled up the hills, my Dolli never missed a step. It was like riding on a tank with tracks right up the hills. And don't let anybody fool you. Haffies can gallup. They are often used in jumping. They make nice sport ponies.

LOL Apps are VERY smart.
My first horse was a Appy mare and we had to stay a step ahead of her at all times.

I think they are like chickens though. In that there are many different personalities within every breed.

I'm hooked on Arabians, but like everyone says it is all in the training. It is important to do a lot of ground work with your horse and introduce the horse to all sorts of things. I had a registered Belgian mare I crossed with my Padron son (Arabian stallion) for a sport horse. Like someone said, sweet, calm mare but not bright. I could always pull up a wheelbarrow and clean out a stall with my Arabs not bothering it, my Belgian mare decided to exit the stall, put her enormous hoof in the center of it and flattened it to the ground. I've told people if I had a barn full of them I'd commit suicide.
I've been disappointed with some of the qualities breeders breed Arabs for these days. Homer Davenport (to long to explain- google it) said when God made the Arabian he made no mistake. The Arabian is supposed to be tough, loyal, brave, kind , intelligent and beautiful, not just beautiful.
Definitely start with an older trained horse, that's great advice.

Back
Top Bottom