Do different horse breeds have different temperments?

Differences in temperament between breeds matter a lot if you are going to buy 100 horses.

If you are only going to buy 1 horse, differences between breeds matter a *little*, if you don't want to exert much effort horse-shopping and have a very large number of candidates of many different breeds to sort through.

However, really, to your basic horse owner buying one horse at a time, who's willing to go look at individual horses, differences between breeds are almost irrelevant. You don't ride the breed as a whole, you ride that PARTICULAR horse, whose temperament may very well vary considerably from the breed 'average'.

Indeed, you can get some pretty good deals on horses if you are willing to 'shop outside the box' and, for instance, a trail rider go look at Saddlebred, an eventer go look at an old-timey type QH, a pleasure driving person go look at a TB, etc etc.

So do not get hung up on "this breed is this way, that breed is that way".

JM$0.02,

Pat

Horses are individuals, like people. There are good ones and bad ones in all breeds. I would recommend, not paying any mind to what breed it is, saying that it is a breed you are wanting, such as if you are wanting a horse for a specific purpose, be sure to look into breeds that are best suited for that purpose. Each horse is different, and you may like a certain horse of a certain breed and not like the next one of the same breed and vise versa.

Appaloosa are stubborn and strong willed. Horse breeds are very different. Do your homework before choosing a breed.

Differences in breeds yes, but you can find a wide range of differences in the bloodlines. Like my good old ranch mare is so much more calm and laid back of a Quarter Horse. Verses our Cutting horses that are Quarter Horses are high strung spooky at times kind of personalities. And funny thing is that they have been everywhere and seen so much.

We use to own an Arabian that was a doll. He took care of every rider he ever had on his back. Verses an Arabian my neighbor owns that is crazy and dangerous.

I have seen Appys that were amazing and gentle and regal. I have been around Appys that were crazy.

We have Shetlands that I adore, but then I have met some that were mean spirited also.

My biggest suggestion is to find a trainer or barn where you can take lessons. You will meet all kinds of horses that way and get some lessons first. After a year or so then have a trusted horse person find you a nice gentle OLDER horse. Whatever the breed you need to be looking for gentle willing personality.

If this would be your first horse buy a well broke older horse. Best kind of horse to get used to riding on. After you really know what you're doing put it out to pasture and get a younger horse. The older one can keep it company. Too many people have pasture ornaments that they can't ride. An untrained unused horse is about worthless no matter the breed. Unless your loaded you don't want to feed a bunch of horses that don't do anything.

This has been said before but...buy a Qhorse you won't be wrong. A paint or an app. are fine ...just make sure that they have Qhorse blood. They can still be registered and shown as a color horse even if they have a sire or dam that is a quarter horse providing they have the color pattern...and they will get the Qhorse sense and versatility.

Looks like your question has been answered, but I have to second what CountryMom said - find a trainer and start taking lessons. Since you said it will be quite a while before you ever get a horse, with luck, you will have the opportunity to ride many different breeds of horses and see what suits you. Once you have experience, you'll know what you like - do you want a steady and true trail horse or something spirited that offers you a challenge with every ride. Only you will know what's the right fit for you and if you can find that in a colour you like - all the better! I've been fortunate to have a number of different horses, and have loved them all. Right now I have two mustangs and an appy/arab x. They are all unique and wonderful in their own way. Good luck with your future ownership - it's something you will never regret!
Liz

If this is your first horse the only advice I can give is to not pay any attention to what breed the horse is. Too many people get caught up on the breed or looks and have to have THIS horse no matter what!
I've had people come in for the pre-purchase exam, and despite some problems with the animal(usually nothing horrible, just stuff that will run them into the poor house), they'll call us back months later requesting x-rays or records because they've decided to buy the horse owing to the fact that they just can't find anything else. That is what happens when you get your heart set on something.

Even if you're looking for a horse for a specific hobby/event/activity it's important to keep your eyes and mind open. For instance, Percherons do surprising well at dressage.
wink.png

In the end it's up to you, each horse is unique and individual and it's important that you recognize this not only for you but for those horse as well.

It's all dependant on how you want to use the horse, the fitting, the training, and the breed.
Here are some of my views on diffearnt breeds. Remember, this is my opinion only, do not be offended with what I'm about to say. Thanks for your cooperation.

Quarter horse- My favorite breed. Nice build, nice colors. Very smart. Most of the time, they are nice sized. Great for kids and inexperianced riders. Grow fast. Easy to handle as colts. Easy to train. Very good at almost anything, trail, pleasure, showing, barrel racing, roping, halter, ect.

Paint- A lot like the Quarter horse. Carries it's head low. Great build. Flashy. Easy to train. Nice sized. Good at almost anything, see quarter horse. Great with kids and inexperianced riders.

Arab- Nice build. High strung. Pretty. Move... differantly... Not my favorite. Not always good for kids horses. Sweet. Lovable. Great temperment with everyday work and good training. Small. Good for pleasure riding, showing, ect. Not good for rodeo events.

Halflinger- Draft/work horse. Lots of power. Pushes through snaffels. Sweet. Cute. Sometimes stubborn. Lovable. Smaller but compact and heavy body. Don't eat as much. Good for heavy but still small cart pulling, pleasure riding, trail, ect.

Minuature horses- Sweet. Eat sawdust and get colic. Okay for kids. Stubborn. Know when it has to work and when it can get away with stuff. Need lots of training and lots of reminding if kids are riding them. Small. Good for showing, little kids (ONLY IF ADULT IS PRESENT) and not much more.

Ponies- Stubborn. Cute. Bite a lot. Not always the best for kids. Get away with lots of stuff they shouldn't. Spoiled. Not the best for kids. Good for little kid's Rodeo if led by an adult, showing in 4-H with adult, little kids to learn to mount, saddle, and bridal if the pony is well behaved.

IN MY OPPINION, you should NEVER get a little kid a pony. If anything, get a big, old, babysitting horse that doesn't care what happens to him. The main problem with the ponies is that they are too small for an experianced adult to get on and remind them the limits. They get spoiled and stubborn because of being able to get away with everything. Always have a responsible adult present when having kids ride.

Yeah, yeah, your question is answered. Here are some pics of my babies. I used to have a guided trail riding business in MD where I used all Arabian horses. I could and did put anyone on them and never had an accident. I am a big fan of Chris Cox and used a lot of his methods on him.

This is Pauleene, I bought her off the track at Delaware Park (they race Arabs there) and she did lessons, trail rides and horse shows. She doesn't have the classic head but is tall and built.
16532_floor_n_ride_018.jpg

This is Emily, she's by a National Champ (Marsianin) but didn't turn out the way the breeders hoped. She spent the first ten years unbroke moving around the country. It took me less than three hours to get her under saddle. She's great at barrels and has tons of sense. Lots of fun.
16532_floor_n_ride_021.jpg

This is my boy, Nonsuch Padron. He is my first stallion and he's wonderful. I've ridden him in parades, did endurance riding and he's done well as a jumper, plus halter and liberty before I purchased him. He's a love.

16532_morn_12-25_002.jpg

Back
Top Bottom