Do different horse breeds have different temperments?

I have found that it is more important to remember that each horse regardless of breed will have their own personalities. all of our horses have their own quirks, thats what is so cool about each one.

AL

We have 2 paints, a throughbred/arabian, and two clydesdales... out of all 5 of them, the two paints have the best personailty. They are very good when the kids are on their backs.

You wanna know how stupid I am? I adopted a mustang. As a little experienced horse person. I got him as a yearling and he will be 6 this year. He is very smart but can be very stubborn. he goes for saddle training in 6 weeks. I am so anxious to see how he turns out. I planned on training him when he was 4 but I got pregnant. Then of course the next spring I had my baby. so granted I could have had him trained but wouldn't have been able to do much/any riding on him. We also have a rescue horse that was almost starved to death. It took about a year to get her body and her feet back to normal. She is a quarter horse and is awesome one the trails. She is almost 20 and me and a group of 9 women went camping for 3 days in Brown County, IN and she never had a problem. The first day we only rode about 3 miles. The next day 6 and the last day 10. since I only got to ride her on two other 1 day rides last summer I was very impressed. I cant wait until I can take my mustang on those trips. Hopefully.

Funny. My name is jennfier and my mustangs name is Samarai

Last edited:
If you want it to work out, try bombproofing him. Expose him to everything you can think of, on the ground (not on his back) and this will create a trust bond and make you the brave boss. I adore Tara- now- but about ten years ago I called the vet to have her euthanized because I thought she was insane. It is a long story but it involved me tying an empty bottle with some pebbles to the saddle and her going ballistic and trying to destroy the roundpen. She wound up kicking my now ex-husbands knee in an attempt to remove the saddle from under her stomach (after two hours of running full blast around the round pen it had slipped) and ripping up her legs when we finally caught her.
I was ticked at her but then of course realized it is truly never the horses fault. They are what they are and we try to make them into what we want. If you apply pressure to a horse you MUST be able to release that pressure and I could not. It was totally my fault that happened.
In the course of several months of daily bandage changing we bonded, looked at scarey things together and now I am proud to say I can do absolutely anything with her. I sometimes carry a bowsaw and cut down branches over her head, I can drag things, pony off her, swim with her, love her to pieces.
I have Arabs that are way more tolerant than her but not as serious about the job at hand.
Lisa

Quote:
Bomb proofing is great! Just a few pointers, before tying a bottle with pebbles onto the saddle, be sure that the horse should be okay with it. Start small. When I ride young horses on trail rides, I take small sticks and break them off of the trees, or take a tall weed out of the ground and casually throw it over the horse's back and around it's face and then at the ground. I also whistle and make random noises while riding so that the horse gets used to everything.

ooo, another after thought at that. Be sure that a bottle or something will fall off quickly. I don't recommend tying anything noisey to a young horse. Shaking a bottle is good, or holding it so that if there was an emergency, I could drop it.

A few years ago at a horseshow, a girl fell off of her about-four-year-old horse. They were disqualified from that event and the girl's mom was very upset with the horse. So, they took it to the stall and tied a plastic bag in the horse's mane and it went balistic. It took off running and ended up trampling some kids, a man, and a baby. All the people were lifeflighted to the hospital. DO NOT TIE ANYTHING TO A HORSE THAT WON'T FALL OFF AND BE VERY CAREFULWHEN BOMBPROOFING. There are right ways and wrong ways. Safty first.

Quote:
I had a horse abandoned on my property years ago. She had been abused and could explode easily. Like a lot of horses, she was afraid of plastic bags or anything that made a rustling noise. She spent most of the day in the pasture with the others, but twice a day I put her in a stall for a few minutes. I would bring a plastic grocery sack full of sweet feed into the stall and dump it in her bucket. It took months, but I eventually taught her that rustling plastic was not scary and could be a good thing.

goodgirlmaewaitingforherturn.jpg
promiselandfarm
Please don't tell my kids that Arabs can rodeo...I don't want to have to get new horses. I agree with everyone here that every horse is different with different temperments and personalities just like people. Some horses will let you get all over them and others have a different way about them. Some people like slow older dumb horses and some like hot heads... again just a matter of likes and dislikes. The best advise I can give you is go to a boarding barn and offer your help for free and clean out stalls, feed and water. Please please be very very careful on getting a trainer to train you to ride. There are TONS of want-a-bes out there who think they know it all and know dittle squat. Hook up with your 4-H program if you have one and see if there is an avenue for you to learn more about them. They are NOT CHEAP to KEEP even the free horse has a vet bill and a feed bill. Try a horse out before you buy it and if does not click walk away and if the owner tells you how wonderful wonderful the horse is and has no vices RUN! every horse I have ever known or owned had some type of what I call a vice something they don't like any thing to a certain feed to riding gear on them. Had a wonderful well train horse who did not like it if you did not put her gear on in a certain order. Was not mean but let you know she was unhappy with either a side step or ears back.

goodgirlmaewaitingforherturn.jpg

promiselandfarm
Please don't tell my kids that Arabs can rodeo...I don't want to have to get new horses. I agree with everyone here that every horse is different with different temperments and personalities just like people. Some horses will let you get all over them and others have a different way about them. Some people like slow older dumb horses and some like hot heads... again just a matter of likes and dislikes. The best advise I can give you is go to a boarding barn and offer your help for free and clean out stalls, feed and water. Please please be very very careful on getting a trainer to train you to ride. There are TONS of want-a-bes out there who think they know it all and know dittle squat. Hook up with your 4-H program if you have one and see if there is an avenue for you to learn more about them. They are NOT CHEAP to KEEP even the free horse has a vet bill and a feed bill. Try a horse out before you buy it and if does not click walk away and if the owner tells you how wonderful wonderful the horse is and has no vices RUN! every horse I have ever known or owned had some type of what I call a vice something they don't like any thing to a certain feed to riding gear on them. Had a wonderful well train horse who did not like it if you did not put her gear on in a certain order. Was not mean but let you know she was unhappy with either a side step or ears back.

Back
Top Bottom