1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do drakes set too?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bheila, Sep 21, 2008.

1. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I have had my hen and my drake separated since she has been setting. So the other day I let them in together since it seemed liked they missed each other. Once my hen got off of her nest my drake seemed to take over. He went over to the nest and rolled the eggs around a bit and them covered them with his chest for a few minutes. Now granted it was just for a little while but is it possible? They are muscovies if that matters. What about when the ducklings hatch should I keep the dad away? I have a blue swedish that will go after baby ducklings and slam them on the ground like he's trying to kill them. Thank goodness he's going down the road next week.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Interesting. I suppose it is possible but I don't know anything about ducks.

3. Sunny Chook Farm

Sunny Chook Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    I'm not letting my ducks set eggs (yet) but every morning when I go to collect eggs Daffy (my Muscovy drake) is always setting on the nest. I have to lift him off to get eggs.

4. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    :eek:
    Weird...(i know nothing about ducks)

~Rebecca

5. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    So then I suppose it sounds possible. It was actually very sweet to watch him give his girlfriend a little break.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by