Do Drakes wander?

moodusnewchick

Songster
11 Years
Feb 15, 2008
CT
No right? he's really gone, isn't he?

I have three muscovies. one drake, 2 females. they're a happy little trio. the ladies fly the coop daily, leaving the heavy drake behind. when i let him out, the three walk around like ducks in a row. I've been having a hard time getting the ducks into the run lately. I came to find out why...they started a clutch. So, I let them stay out. The drake is huge, he mastered my Black Jersey Giant roo and gave me some manly hissing resistance too. The only predator we've had roaming has been a fox. The drake is far too heavy for a fox, in my opinion.

So, this morning, he's gone. No sign of struggle. No blood, no broken branches. No drake. Two females crying.

any thoughts?

It sounds to me like a predator got him. So sorry.
hugs.gif

he might be gone. same thing just happened with my drake on sunday right after i found my hen all bloody, yet still alive in the house. she had gone broody, and a weasel killed her for protecting her eggs. she had to be put to sleep by the vet. i came home later to find a pile of feathers. i screamed to my parents saying it got chubby too. we were hoping he was able to get away, and we searched and searched and searched for him, but he's gone. i'm sorry.
hugs.gif

maybe try looking for him though. he might have wandered off and found something fun and didn't want to come back

I have mallards..They have had an open top cage for a year all can fly but my boys never left becaue I go have females who cant fly...and for that reason alone I know mine would never leave..Im sorry I hope you do find yours..I know how painful it can be..To lose a pet and not know what happened I lost my favorite baby boy drake 2 weeks ago..I know what happened to him but it doesnt have it easier...
hugs.gif

Last edited:
I have a Saxony drake and a Rouen hen, they are inseperable, but often they wont come home at night (we have a fox as well) or wont come home for up to 2 whole days and nights, but they do always come back once they get tired of whatever fun they found. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom