Do ducklings need heat?

catchthewind

Songster
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
Vancouver Island
I have five ducklings that would now be four days old, I think. They're way sturdier, bigger, and independent than four-day-old chickens so I am wondering if the person I bought them from misled me about their age.

One thing I have noticed is they don't seem to need heat. I had them with a light at 90 degrees to start with, but it was obvious pretty quick that that was too hot so I raised it so it was 85. Even that was too much, so I put it to 80 and that seemed okay (no panting, they were moving around, etc), but I never saw them go under there and they never slept under it. Last night I had to move their brooder and I wasn't able to put the light as close, but they seemed happy (moving around, drinking, eating, etc) so I didn't think anything of it. They slept in a little ball (but that's exactly how they slept with the heat in there too, on the opposite side from it) and in the middle of the night I did throw a little warmed up bean bag in there for them, but when I got up this morning they were wandering around, eating and drinking, etc. I found my thermometer and checked the temperature, and it was room temperature! Is having five of them in there together enough to keep them warm on it's own?

I think my biggest worry about the heat is that they keep trying to swim in their water dish (which is full of marbles, so it's deep enough they can get their heads in but they just kind of sit on top of the marbles to "swim"), so they're pretty much all constantly wet. It doesn't seem to bother them, but it worries me. But maybe that's just the chick mama in me worrying. ;)

Here they are having their first swim. They would have only been two days old in this picture.

You have beautiful scovies! As for the light if they are still swimming in their waterer I really would advise still using the lamp. Just in case one gets too chilled it can heat right back up vs taking a chance of it getting sick.

Welcome to Duckdom!

What is room temperature? In my house many mornings that's around 60F. And if they are four days old, I feel that is risking trouble.

Ducklings may need more or less than what the average duckling needs. So I would adjust their heat and then watch. Many times it is advised to have a relatively warm section of the brooder, but with room for ducklings to move to a cooler spot if they want to. Also, chilly breezes are said to risk health problems with ducklings.

They are waterfowl, and so they splash water. tweetysvoice and 70%cocoa have setups that deal with water management pretty handily. These forum members are not the only ones with good ideas, but they come to mind at the moment.

I found that the brooder was ten degrees F lower with damp bedding than with dry. And the paradox it seemed to me was that they need a warm dry brooder but they work to make it cool and damp.
roll.png

Ducklings need to be able to frequently wash their entire heads to avoid eye, ear and sinus infections. Many of us have used head washers that we make from plastic lidded tubs. gryeyes had a nice one.

Thank you both! And Amiga I will go and look those up right away. :) I came up with an idea for a brooder where I can have a light on it a little easier than what I've been doing, so I'm working on that as we speak. I was thinking of using sand at the bottom (which is what I did for chickens), but I'm not sure if wet sand or wet shavings is better? (Obviously I would be doing my best to keep on top of the wet anything.) Room temperature on our top floor (where they were) is 70 degrees or more. Our air conditioner doesn't work very well up here (unfortunately for us, but fortunately for the ducklings I guess).

Last edited:
If the room temperature is around 70 F it will likely be easier to keep them at a good duckling temperature. Ours came in February, so heat was an issue. I found having a thermometer very helpful. Just an inexpensive one, not with mercury, to give me a ballpark reading.

Enjoy the babies!

Back
Top Bottom