Do Ducks and Canadian Geese get along?

ChickInDelight

Never an Empty Nest
11 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Browntown, VA
I am planning on launching my 5 flying mallards and 4 Pekins from a duck house (igloo dog house actually) on an island from one of the ponds on the farm where I live. I had first thought I would choose the island in front of my home located in a spillway betwixt the small lake and large pond. A flock of about 40 Canadian Geese live on the island in the lake. They also spend time in the pond and island on the pond. Usually, only a lone goose and sometimes a pair of mallards frequent the spillway.

I found remnants of an old duck house on the island in the spillway. I am thinking the water may be too shallow and closely located to the woods to deter predators.

The island in the pond is safe from predators, however, I am concerned that the Canadian Geese may chase my ducks away. Is this true? I thought geese and ducks always got along.
idunno.gif

They might chase them away for a little while....but they will ge used to them being around. We had/have the same issue with introducing ducks to the Canadian Geese around our place as well.

With a flock of geese that size they may chase them away at first, but get used to them after a while. I have a pair of Canadian Geese that have been calling our creek and field 'home' for quite a while now & they don't mind the ducks at all, they've even gotten used to me walking around out there when i am checking on the ducks.

We don't have a lot of Canada geese that visit where I live, but I have noticed that they generally ignored the adult ducks. However, there is one gander that has chased and attacked ducklings there. The first time, I was sure he was going to kill the babies, but with each exposure to ducklings, he got less interested in them. Plus, there's two Chinese ganders that he likes to fight with and if they're around, he would rather deal with them than chase ducks or ducklings.

Back
Top Bottom