Can I put 4 week old chicks with 8 week olds?

Yellow321

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2024
I have 6 standard-sized 8 week olds in a brooder that I'm about to put outside in their new coop/run. I have another set of 6 mixed bantam 4 week olds in a separate brooder. They'll all eventually be in the same run/coop. I have no other older chickens in the run.

My 8 week olds definitely have an established pecking order already. My 4 week olds are actively working on theirs but not too established yet.

My Standards are between 16-30oz in weight (Miss 30oz has always been huge and double the size of everyone else!) My bantams are currently 4-5oz. They're little and I know a peck from my top of the pecking order 30oz'er could do some damage!

Their new future coop/run:
Coop - 8' x 6' shed.
Run - 9' x 20' run
They will not free range.

QUESTION: What is the best way for me to go about introducing them all? Should I do it now at these young ages? Maybe put the bantams in a cage next to the standard's in their new run so they can see them for a week or two? If not now, then when? The coop/run will be new to everyone so should I just put them all in the new run at the same time? Or should I wait until the 4 week old bantams are a little bigger at least 8 weeks to introduce to my Standards (which would by then be 12 weeks)? Any other ideas?

QUESTION: What is the best way for me to go about introducing them all? Should I do it now at these young ages? Maybe put the bantams in a cage next to the standard's in their new run so they can see them for a week or two? If not now, then when? The coop/run will be new to everyone so should I just put them all in the new run at the same time? Or should I wait until the 4 week old bantams are a little bigger at least 8 weeks to introduce to my Standards (which would by then be 12 weeks)? Any other ideas?
Any of those ideas could work.

I might try putting the younger set in the new run first, so they can get familiar with the space, and have the older ones in a cage beside the run for a few days or a week. Then maybe try moving the standards in with the bantams at the rate of one or two each day. That will keep them from ganging up on the bantams all at once, and the smaller ones will already know where to find the food and water and where they can run.

Given the sizes involved, you may be able to set up places where the smaller birds can go but the bigger ones cannot. That could include things to duck under or hide behind, or even something like a cage with openings on all sides that let little birds in and keep bigger ones out.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-coop-brooder-and-integration.74591/
This is an article about introducing young chicks to an adult flock, but some of the ideas about small entrances to a safe place might work with the chicks you have as well, given the size differences you are working with.

Where are you located? The real question is about your temperatures, especially nighttime lows. if you house them in the run, rain could be an issue.

My suggestion is to house the young ones inside the coop. Just section off an area for them, it will be predator proof. This keeps them out of the weather and they learn that sleeping in the coop is the right place to sleep.

Where are you located? The real question is about your temperatures, especially nighttime lows. if you house them in the run, rain could be an issue.

My suggestion is to house the young ones inside the coop. Just section off an area for them, it will be predator proof. This keeps them out of the weather and they learn that sleeping in the coop is the right place to sleep.
But my question here is how to introduce the little bantams to the standards. I have the temps and such figured out already.

Any of those ideas could work.

I might try putting the younger set in the new run first, so they can get familiar with the space, and have the older ones in a cage beside the run for a few days or a week. Then maybe try moving the standards in with the bantams at the rate of one or two each day. That will keep them from ganging up on the bantams all at once, and the smaller ones will already know where to find the food and water and where they can run.

Given the sizes involved, you may be able to set up places where the smaller birds can go but the bigger ones cannot. That could include things to duck under or hide behind, or even something like a cage with openings on all sides that let little birds in and keep bigger ones out.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-coop-brooder-and-integration.74591/
This is an article about introducing young chicks to an adult flock, but some of the ideas about small entrances to a safe place might work with the chicks you have as well, given the size differences you are working with.
Thanks! I hadn't thought about the bantams getting first dibbs on the new run/coop. That may help with territorial pecks from the standards. At least in the beginning. I like your idea of trying the standards maybe one or two at a time. Thanks a bunch!

I put the 4 wk olds in a dog crate in the coop with 8 wk olds with a lamp. after 2-3 wks left crate door ajar wide enough for younger birds. Some pecking to establish who's who.

But my question here is how to introduce the little bantams to the standards. I have the temps and such figured out already.
I thought NatJ had mostly answered your basic question. House them side by side for a week or two then see what happens when you let them mingle. Base your decisions on what you see, not what somebody over the internet tells you that you will see. Each situation is unique. I try to let them figure put most of the details.

Don't be surprised if the littles are in the coop when the bigs are in the run or if the littles are on the roosts when the bigs are on the coop floor.

What I was talking about was the benefits of housing them in the coop instead of in the run.

I put the 4 wk olds in a dog crate in the coop with 8 wk olds with a lamp. after 2-3 wks left crate door ajar wide enough for younger birds. Some pecking to establish who's who.
I plan on locking everyone in the new coop for a few days so they can learn "this is your new home." I like your idea of putting the Littles in the dog crate in to coop with the Bigs. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom