Introducing 5 week old chicks to 8 week old chicks

Mar 30, 2024
I have some chicks that are 4, 3, 2, 1 weeks old. I want to introduce them ( at the appropriate times of course) to my currently 8 week old chicks. Is it common practice to introduce them the same way you would an older established flock? or would they not really care since a pecking order hasn't really been established yet? I was thinking of doing a separate enclosure within the run for a few days so they get familiar with each other and then putting them in at night. For reference to ease the over crowding questions, I have a 8'x24'x6' coop with a 24'x 24'x8' run attached, they do free range but not full time since they are young. 20 chicks in the existing flock, and looking to add 20-25 more within the next few weeks since temperatures are becoming friendly. TIA for all the responses.

In a few more weeks, when the youngest are a little older, then it shouldn't be a problem to put them all together. They are young enough and close enough in age, it shouldn't be an issue.

Another option is to put them together now, separated physically but able to see each other. That way they can get used to each other, but the 1 week old chicks won't get trampled by the older ones.

I agree with Rosemarythyme - especially if you have a lot in both groups. The more you are introducing, the easier it goes. It is when you are trying to introduce 1-2 to an established flock of 3 years that you have the nightmares.

I would have a lot of hide outs, places where chicks can scurry to and get out of sight. And a lot of feed stations.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom