Do ducks and chickens get along?? Can they share a coop??

I got a runner duckling this summer when I swapped out my roosters (urban) and it was supposed to be a hen...well, it is a drake and even though he was raised with my chickens he now wants to do bad duck things to them...thus causing harm....I have now gotten a runner hen to satisfy his needs but alas....my poor chickens are still being violated. Any ideas?

Can silkies and ducks be together? Will they get along? What's a drake? And is there a certain kind of ducks I should get? Also, Do you recommend boys or girls? Are ducks nice or is that depending on the breed.? Thanks.

We have our ducks and chickens in a coop together.(1 hen 1 drake and 4 chickens) SO far we haven't had any problems other than at treat time if the chickens are crowding the treats he will chase some out for his lady to get in there. I clean the coop out biweekly because it doesn't get dirty too quickly. We have food and water both outside.

I got a runner duckling this summer when I swapped out my roosters (urban) and it was supposed to be a hen...well, it is a drake and even though he was raised with my chickens he now wants to do bad duck things to them...thus causing harm....I have now gotten a runner hen to satisfy his needs but alas....my poor chickens are still being violated. Any ideas?
You need to separate him and his lady duck from the chickens he will kill your hens, they are not made to mate.with each other. He will eventually bond to your new duck and not be as imprinted on your hens but till then he does not need to be kept with them.

Last edited:
Can silkies and ducks be together? Will they get along? What's a drake? And is there a certain kind of ducks I should get? Also, Do you recommend boys or girls? Are ducks nice or is that depending on the breed.? Thanks.
Ducks and chickens can learn to tolerate each other, but I prefer to house mine separately. ducks can be mean to chickens and chickens can be mean to ducks. With silkies you can go with any breed of duck as long as they are introduced slowly and you have enough ducks if you decide to get a drake along with them, a drake is a male duck and they can go after hens if they don't have enough ducks to mate with. the best ratio is 3 or more ducks to 1 drake. Silkies having vaulted skulls I just feel it maybe better to house separately and just let them free range together.

Back
Top Bottom