Do ducks do best with a drake?

CoriM

Crowing
Jun 6, 2019
Hi friends,

Hoping to glean from the experience of people here. I have 6 female ducks, 3 welsh harlequins and 3 pekins. Everytime they get into their wading pool, and sometimes even outside the pool, they display the desire to mate. At least I think that's what I am observing. They flatten their backs, get down low, with back end raised. They all do it, but the welsh are the worst and as soon as they get in the water they start head-bobbing and then jump on top of each other and try to drown each other. They're all under a year old. Is it cruel not to have a drake and allow them to fulfill their biological instincts? I have no desire for hatching out ducklings at this point, and hate to upset the apple cart, as my girls get along well for the most part, but would they actually be better off if I had one drake, or will this behavior die down with age? Just wanting to do what's best for them. Thanks!

Hi friends,

Hoping to glean from the experience of people here. I have 6 female ducks, 3 welsh harlequins and 3 pekins. Everytime they get into their wading pool, and sometimes even outside the pool, they display the desire to mate. At least I think that's what I am observing. They flatten their backs, get down low, with back end raised. They all do it, but the welsh are the worst and as soon as they get in the water they start head-bobbing and then jump on top of each other and try to drown each other. They're all under a year old. Is it cruel not to have a drake and allow them to fulfill their biological instincts? I have no desire for hatching out ducklings at this point, and hate to upset the apple cart, as my girls get along well for the most part, but would they actually be better off if I had one drake, or will this behavior die down with age? Just wanting to do what's best for them. Thanks!

Your ducks might want to mate, but they don't need to mate. The main reason to get a drake is that you want ducklings either to give away or sell or to increase the size of your flock. If you don't want ducklings, there's no reason to get a drake.

Last edited:
I keep a drake around for fertilized eggs, But also because they have such nice colors, And like @floppysquirrel04 seid they can be realy sweet.

They have been known to attack people, But all the drakes ive had were waay nicer than my hens. its alot to think about and worth doing alot of research on and make sure you make the right decision for you and your flock

Ive had alot of good boys, But one Silver appleyard i had drowned one of my favorite hens.

Drakes are given away here for free, and about 3 months into spring the market will be flooded with free drakes, you could take one in that needs a good home

If someone had a big pond out in the open ide recomend a drake, But as backyard pets in a penned area your probably best off using the housing space for another hen

Last edited:
All females love to mate each other it’s only natural. Research research research before bringing home a drake they can be sweet and they can be terrors. So before you make that decision. I have 3 drakes to 13 females. You have to be willing to make the effort to train a drake if when hormones are at there highest he gets out of hand.

That’s disgusting.

I agree and only really posted it for the sake of completeness. It's not something I'd want to eat or anything I'd want to make. It's not as straight-up evil and horrifying as the process for making fois gras (especially industrialized fois gras) but it's still nothing I'd want to do.

Still, some people do. It's clearly a popular food in South Asia. And again, technically it is a reason that someone who did not want to produce live ducklings would want to get a drake for hens.

Last edited:
It all depends! - If you are in an area with predatory birds, for example you should have drakes. They are the guardians of the flock, always watching out for any dangers to "their" girls and alerting them.
And yes, that mating thing. My ducks actually request to be mated a lot. They flatten out in front of the drakes, bob their heads and make demanding sounds to seduce the drakes. So i assume it is different for a duck to be mated by a drake vs. by another duck, because i also have duck-sandwiches from time to time… And triple duck-burgers…
From my point of view you do need drakes.

Back
Top Bottom