Do ducks have a pecking order?

dominance. ducks do have a pecking order, it was pretty noticable in my since they started getting a little older. as long as they don't full out fight, they should be fine.

Any flock, herd, pack has something like pecking order. The most dominate animal is the leader and it goes right down the line. Any member that can't fit into the pecking order might become a outcast which usually leads to an early death.
One muscovy hen on top of another may look like mating but it is usually the one on the top driving home that she is dominate to the one on the bottom. Two hens fighting looks a lot like a cock fight since the main weapon is the sharp claws used for perching. A lot of physical damage may result to both birds so it is better if one submits.

Yup, they have a pecking order. One of my Khaki hens is at the bottom of it. My drake will shove her around with his bill, and she has a few little bald patches from him.

OH yes! I just added 2 smaller ducks to my 5 and they definitely let them know who's the boss. See my website for more. After a few days they have let up on the newbies, but it did scare me a bit at first! I think that's just the way it is in nature and, of course, with brothers and sisters ;-)

Back
Top Bottom