Do Ducks instinctively sit on their eggs when the eggs are fertile?

OreoPlymothRock

Songster
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Florida
Do Ducks instinctively sit on their eggs when the eggs are fertile? Because when i walked outside, i saw an egg lying on the ground. I picked it up and put it in the refrigerator. Then when i walked back outside, the ducks followed me and were looking in the spot where the egg was. So i think that it was the ducks egg. But then when i looked closely, it was just as big as the chicken's eggs and the same color as the chicken's eggs. Light brown. Another thing is that the ducks are only 21 weeks old and are going to be 22 weeks old tomorrow. Any Advice? Thanks

A duck will sit on their nest even if the eggs aren't fertile, though I don't think they'd sit on just one egg. What kind of duck do you have? You should look it up and see what color/size their eggs are.

My duck eggs vary in size. My Rouen and Runner eggs are about the size of a chicken egg. But one of my Pekin females lays a JUMBO sized egg that won't fit in an egg carton. Just depends on the duck. : )

~ Aspen

Most domestic ducks aren't very broody and they don't start to sit until they've gathered whatever number they think is enough. I don't know if Magpies tend to be broody or not...

Most of the ducks I've had over the years have never built a nest and sat on it.

Maybe they thought you had treats.
smile.png

One Mapie is a girl and the other one is a boy. When will the girl duck start laying eggs?

My Anconas started to lay around 5 months, I think. I've noticed that ducklings that hatch in early spring will start to lay during the summer, but ducklings that hatch later in the year won't start to lay until spring.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom