Do ducks lay all year?

Rescuedrvr4u

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 19, 2011
I have many chickens, I know about their egg laying. I have guineas and know they only lay spring/summer. My son just dropped his 2 ducks off at my house. I know nothing. He said he has never seen any eggs so I said they're probably both males. Then I was wondering...he got them last yr. when they were babies, it's just now turning spring...maybe they don't lay all yr. like chickens. Any advice as how to look at them and determine male/female would be highly appreciated. 1 Cayuga, and 1 runner. Thanks.

If they are drakes, they will have a 'drake curl' on the upper anterior portion of their tails. If drakes it would be advisable to keep them separate from your hens as their is the potential for injury if they breed the hens.

If they do happen to be female, do they lay all yr. like a chicken, or only spring/summer like a guinea?

i have white campbells and they lay all year. I plead with them to take a week off as my partner has developed a duck egg allergy and theres just too many eggs!

Most drakes seem to be more brightly colored than females and tend to have a curled feather on their tail and shouldn't have a loud quack. I don't know about cayugas but my campbells lay year round as do my runners and rouens.

Pictures would be great to help ID the sex. generally speaking ducks are seasonal layers but some breeds are definitely more egg laying and almost year round than others. Mine are all Muscovy and usually take a break from late fall thru late winter. They started back up in Jan and now all are laying even my 4 less than 1yo.

Last edited:
Both of your ducks if they are ducks and not drakes (of course) will lay on average of 150+ a year. Highly likely more. Cayugas avg. 200 while Runners are a little less around 160.

Under the right conditions ducks can lay all year around.

If you can provide pics! It'll help us help you.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom