Do ducks lay at night?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Randy, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    It seems that no matter how early in the morning I get out there the girls have alreadly laid. I check late in the evening and there are no eggs but first thing the next morning there they are. I think I will get up an hour before daylight just to see for sure if they are laying at night.

2. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    They get up stupid early just to mess with their keepers, of course! [​IMG]

I've been having the same fortune. Get up, go out... BAM! Already there! It makes the chickens look lazy. [​IMG]

3. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Me too. I set up an awesome nesting area for them outside their house and where do they lay? In a corner of their house. Problem is they must lay super early, so by the time I let them out at 7AM they've already done the deed!

4. greenyardsmith

greenyardsmith Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2009
    I think ducks are night owls especially during full moon see them walking around they cat nap in the day time. Khaki Campbell lay everyday have no clue when. Also have pigeon sized banty chicken that gets out of my big pen and if cant get back in she bunks with the ducks! Maybe warmer lol anyhow she will lay her eggs when the ducks do! When in rome... lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by