1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do ducks mate year-round?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ravie, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Ravie

Ravie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    I know ducks have a breeding season. But I don't know if that's the only time they mate.

I had someone inquire about purchasing some of my duck eggs for hatching, but I have no idea if they're fertile or not. I've only gotten 6 eggs in the last week and she'd like to buy them all. I don't have any I can crack.

Thanks for your help in helping me become less of a duck-noob!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't know what breed you have but I know my Muscovies don't breed year round, but they started breeding earlier this year because of the warmer weather. I usually don't see any breeding from late September till early April. till this year.

3. greenmtngirl

greenmtngirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Vermont
    My ducks (Indian Runners) stop laying in the winter, but certainly continue, um, mating.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    There is no "off switch" on drakes.

I would expect the first eggs of the season to be fertile. It's just that the first eggs are sometimes not perfectly formed. Sometimes it takes the ducks a few eggs to get the kinks out of the system and get the factory up and running properly.

5. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    My pekin male did seem to breed year round. Although, I have a cayuga/pekin male, that is a lot more shy, and refuses to mate with anyone but my other cayuga.... (and will not mate in the winter)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by