Do ducks need pals?

JulieFS

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 18, 2011
Freeport, Michigan
I was just given a 3-4 week old duck from someone who didn't want to take care of her.
She's unbelievably sweet and I adore her!
Right now I have her in a bathtub with straw and a dish for water and food.
I have LOTS of questions:

1. What do they eat when they are this small? My grandma told me to feed her worms, crickets, and dry oatmeal...

2. Do they need friends? She's all alone and I can't have her with me constantly because I have cats in the house and she looks like such an adorable little snack to them! I REALLY don't want to get more ducks... unless I HAVE to get her a friend.

3. How old does she have to be before I can move her outside?

4. Will she ever get over her "separation anxiety"? Unless I am right there next to her or holding her, she cries for me.
sad.png
very sad!

5. She is my avatar/profile picture... does anyone know what kind she is? She was in a pen with a white female, a brown female, and a white/light brown spotted female and one male, who was brown-ish.

Sorry if I sound completely lost... I AM. I know chickens okay... but ducks are a different story!

HELP!
smile.png

Quote:
She needs to have a chick starter/grower at her age. and get some brewers yeast to put on the top of food for extra nician, to protect against leg problems. She would probably be happier with a friend but if your going to make her a house duck then just you will be enough, you can buy diaper harnesses by the way. Maybe give cats some time out in a separate room so duckling can be with you more. Have no idea about breed but she sure is cute. I do put some oatmeal in my ducklings and ducks food, but they also get a feed specifically for fowl also. and your grandma is right they love worms and crickets. She needs to be at least 4 weeks and feathered before going outside. Maybe this will help. http://feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/BRKDucks.html and welcome to the wonderful world of ducks and
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for that website Miss Lydia! That will certainly help!
I'm heading for the store to get her the RIGHT food. THANKS so much for your help!

Quote:
Please keep us updated on how she is and pics as she grows, also if you can find it [we aren't so lucky] you can buy water fowl feed. but make sure it's age approprate[sp].

Aww, what a cutie! If that's her/him in your avatar, it looks rouen-ish.

Ducklings in the wild are almost always at their mom's side or they know where their mom is, so when they can't see their mamas, they start screaming. That's when mama comes looking for them. They can be heard a long ways away, too. Having a sibling helps a little.

I wouldn't put her/him outside until he/she is fully feathered and even then they need to be supervised a little longer.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom