do ducks sit on eggs????

bantymum

Songster
12 Years
Mar 3, 2007
4 hours from Sydney Australia
I know this sounds like a silly queation but my duck has laid 12 eggs in the woodshed where I cant get to!!!
she disappears for a few hours then comes back.
Do ducks sit on the eggs like chooks??
If so do they stay on them or get off for a few hours daily?
She is a white bantam mallard and Ive never raised ducks before!!!

My silkies and BEI's sure do. I have 17 babies this year from them.They don't seem to sit as tight as hens,but they get the job done. I even had one that had her nest destroyed by guineas,she rebuilt the nest and managed to hatch out 4 babies. It seems kind of late in the year for a mallard to set though. But I think I'd let her have a go at it.

Ducks do sit and hatch eggs. Back home in Ga around our big pond we always had ducks hatching out babies. Once we had a momma with 21 babies trailing her across the pond. We have no idea how many eggs she started with but 21 out in the wild to hatch is a remarkable number.

Thankyou, Im in Australia and it will be spring on Sept One!!!the blossoms are starting to bloom, hooray!!
Does anyone know apprx how long she would usually sit at each time. like how many hours per day??!!
Thanks

Thankyou, yes she has started to sit in the same manner as the hens do.
I dont know how many are in there but she has made them lovely and warm.
When she got up to puddle in the mud the other day I went to have a peep.
she covers the eggs with soft downy feathers and it looked so snuggly.
Helen

In 4 weeks you'll have fluffy little ducklings!
smile.png

Im so looking forward to it.
Im dreading the task of trying to sell the drakes when they are ready to rehome, I have buyers who want breeding pairs when they are ready.
anyhow ill let you know with a babypic when they hatch!
Thank
Helen

Back
Top Bottom