Do EE's go broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sonjab314, May 23, 2010.

1. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I am going to try and breed Polish chickens. They are not known to set very well at all. I have 5 EE hens and I dont know if they go broody or not. I am considering getting two Lt. Brahmas to set on my Polish eggs but if the EE's go broody then I don't need the Brahmas (other than they are gorgeous birds). I also have Cinnamon Queens (red sex linked). Does anyone know if they go broody?

2. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Oh, yeah. They go broody.. I've had 1 broody EE who's been wanting to set for a year..... I don't let her, tho, because she's also been known to have egg on her little beak..bad girl that she is [​IMG]

3. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    It depends on the individual hen.

Since EEs are mutts, from all different kinds of crosses and all different lengths from true Araucana/Ameraucana blood, you can't really generally say "Yes, EE's go broody generally" because they aren't like other, real breeds. They are mutts - and usually, people don't know their lineage.

If an EEs mom/dad was a Cochin or silkie, I'd say "Yeah, that hen would probably go broody." But if you don't know, then it could go either way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by