Do egg bound hens poop?

azhenhouse

Songster
9 Years
11 Years
Jul 12, 2010
North Eastern Arizona
I thought my Leghorn hen was egg bound...but she is pooping, a lot. It looks normal to me. It is my understanding that they don't poop if they are egg bound, correct?

thats a good question I know the eggs and poop come from different areas in there so probably she would poop.. unless the egg was rightat the vent and keeping her from it.. Can you see an egg? or feel one?

No to both. I felt around and couldn't feel an egg, but that doesn't mean anything
hmm.png
. I looked at her vent and didn't see anything there.
I guess I will soak her again in some warm water. Oh, she smells worse than my dogs when they are wet. I didn't think that could be possible:lol:. I also have her on wormer, just in case. And I am feeding her some bread soaked in olive oil. Although, her crop felt empty last night. I would have her on ACV but I have the wormer in her water. If none of this works I don't know what will. She use to lay eggs everyday, but two months ago we added a rooster, and she is his favorite. Could that be effecting her egg laying?

if her crop was empty last night then she isn't eating, it should be full at night and empty in the morning, try enticing her with yogurt. grapes, scrambled eggs, you know food that will help build her up and also her laying mash.. plus if your worming her she will need some kind of probiotic to help get the gut back in order.. If the roos is mating with her constantly then it might, my roo has a favorite also and I don't think she lays everyday.. but not sure if it would actually stop her from laying.. feed her some extra protein and maybe get some poultry drench or poly-vi-sol w/o iron and also give that too her, you need to get her immune system built up.. When I've soaked my hens before I haven't noticed them having a bad smell. maybe that has to do with whats going on? after you finish with the wormer then start her on ACV. I also give my hens canned wild salmon 1x a week for extra protein.

Whatever happened with your hen? My chicken is acting egg bound but also pooping. I don't know what to do for her. I've tried soaking her in warm baths but it's not helping.

I thought my Leghorn hen was egg bound...but she is pooping, a lot. It looks normal to me. It is my understanding that they don't poop if they are egg bound, correct?
From another site: A hen who is egg bound cannot typically defecate. They're unable to pass solid waste around the egg, and so the blockage can cause further health problems for them. Wet droppings can sometimes pass around the egg. It's rare for them to defecate, however

Whatever happened with your hen? My chicken is acting egg bound but also pooping. I don't know what to do for her. I've tried soaking her in warm baths but it's not helping.
hi, this is happening to my hen right now...can anyone share what happened?

Back
Top Bottom