1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do extracts go bad?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by arabianequine, Nov 3, 2011.

1. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I am going to make angel food cake and why I don't know but the recipe calls for orange extract which I happen to have but never use and it is pretty old. Does it go bad? I think I would rather just use my vanilla extract does it matter which I use?

2. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Yahoo or Google Orange Extract, look for a Wikipedia link. I believe that like Vanilla Extract, Orange Extract has a high percentage of alcohol - so NO I do not think it would spoil, it might evaporate a little but not spoil...

Here's the explanation of what many extracts and oils are made of and how they're used. Seems if they are kept in a cool dark place (a cupboard qualifies I would think) you will be just fine. They almost all have alcohol in them which will work as a preservative.

http://www.foodsubs.com/Extracts.html

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  3. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    No, extracts have alcohol in them thus they keep for a long, long time.

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    If you aren't sure, just subsitute a little orange zest. Or some kind of liqueur.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If it smells OK, it is OK to use. They don't spoil, but they loose their strength.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by