Do Fireworks Scare Chickens?

It depends on your bird.
Mine tend to ignore noises, but if you are setting something off in the yard and things start flying around or sparks etc flying at them, they'll run to get away but that's about it.

One buddy, Martin, his chickens, one of them goes crazy and after about 30 seconds is up hiding in the corner of the coop and won't come out for hours afterwards. You are going to really just see how yours act specifically. Hopefully they behave for you !
Aaron

I've found it to be helpful to expose birds and other livestock/pets to normal loud sounds when they are young to not be conditioned to fear the sounds. The tractor used to scare the absolute heck out of our bunnies, but now they know it's no big thing. Same for the chickens...I've read some posts that roosters will often react badly to situations where an owner gets hurt because a loud sound occurs nearby, so might be another reason to condition them that certain sounds are fine. I have to physically move the rabbits when I go out to pressure wash their pen...the sound of the pressure washer starting/going doesn't even make them blink anymore. :p

Unfortunately my girls have kind of come to recognize the sound off the mower whirring to, oh BUGS stirred up. So far they are not bad about getting in front of me but are getting more bold, NO that is the last thing I need is hens getting brave around a mower. How long before one of the bimbette's decides to chase a cricket up the chute or something. Unfortunately its little miss I live in the short coop who's the most problematic too when it comes to the mower... she's the same one that taught them ALL a lesson by pecking at the entrance of my beehive. In a way I wish they were afraid of loud noises, then it'd be easier to scare them / deter them from doing things I don't want to. Throwing flower pots at them gets old, because you gotta then go fetch the pots to reload...

Aaron

Unfortunately my girls have kind of come to recognize the sound off the mower whirring to, oh BUGS stirred up. So far they are not bad about getting in front of me but are getting more bold, NO that is the last thing I need is hens getting brave around a mower. How long before one of the bimbette's decides to chase a cricket up the chute or something. Unfortunately its little miss I live in the short coop who's the most problematic too when it comes to the mower... she's the same one that taught them ALL a lesson by pecking at the entrance of my beehive. In a way I wish they were afraid of loud noises, then it'd be easier to scare them / deter them from doing things I don't want to. Throwing flower pots at them gets old, because you gotta then go fetch the pots to reload...

Aaron
Oh yeah, for free range, totally agree! Mine are in Fort Knox situation due to local predation. I can't keep chickens if I let them out at all. I got tired of feeding all the local wildlife and almost gave up on chickens because of it.

Back
Top Bottom