Do flocks sometimes NEVER merge?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RGEISENDORF, Jun 10, 2009.

1. RGEISENDORF

RGEISENDORF In the Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Sedro-Woolley, WA
    Just curious. My older girls are 15 weeks and my Silkies are 10 weeks. They sleep together in the same coop with no problem but during the day they are in two seperate groups. The older girls started going out 4 weeks before the Silkies and the Silkies joined them to free range about 5 weeks ago. They don't even get near each other.... will they ever or is this normal? Just curious. I don't know why it bugs me but I would love to see all 12 of them cruising together.... thanks. [​IMG]

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    It's highly possible that they'll remain in 2 separate groups for the duration. I've got chickens of 3 different ages (3 adults, 2 tweens, 5 chicks). They pretty much stick to their own are group... but that could change in time.

3. sben451

sben451 Songster

Aug 26, 2008
    Anniston, AL
    When I started letting my chickens out last summer (8 buff orpingtons and 7 silkies) they pretty much stayed in separate groups. Sometimes they would intermingle, but mostly two different groups.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Originally my birds kept to their groups. Now that they are older they all mingle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: