Do golden laced wyandotte hens grow slower than other breeds?

kidsNchicken

Songster
May 5, 2015
Utah
I have a golden laced wyandotte that has grown slower and is half the size of all my other day old chicks (that are now all 12 weeks old I ordered online/came together. Is that normal? I am just concerned because my other hens are very cruel and pick at her until her face and comb are all bloody even though they have all grown up together? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
DC61B0EB-04E7-447C-AFFB-2118FA4F629F.jpeg
9551C4B8-3182-4F76-A4E7-5918E6CA946F.jpeg

In a word, NO. Wyandottes rate of growth is medium compared to other breeds.
Could it be your Wyandottes are bantams?
Mature LF Wyandottes are about 6.5 lbs. while bantams are around 2.5 lbs..
1/2 size as day olds would indicate bantams.
What other breeds are you comparing them to?

Last edited:
In a word, NO. Wyandottes rate of growth is medium compared to other breeds.
Could it be your Wyandottes are bantams?
Mature LF Wyandottes are about 6.5 lbs. while bantams are around 2.5 lbs..

I was wondering if I was accidentally sent a bantam. I ordered a mix of brown egg layers (16 full size hens) and she is the only one that small. Should I remove her from the other hens?

What would you do with her if you removed her?
It may help to know what the other breeds were. Any RIRs in the mix?

Last edited:
What would you do with her if you removed her?
It may help to know what the other breeds were. Any RIRs in the mix?

I was thinking I could put her in my other coop/run and get a couple other bantams so she wasn’t alone, but with some hens closer to her size. She is currently in a mixed flock with snowy easter eggers, rhode island red, cuckoo marans, and welsummers. The flock also tries to keep her out of the hen house at night.

I was thinking I could put her in my other coop/run and get a couple other bantams so she wasn’t alone, but with some hens closer to her size. She is currently in a mixed flock with snowy easter eggers, rhode island red, cuckoo marans, and welsummers. The flock also tries to keep her out of the hen house at night.
I have a buff orpington with a golden laced wyandotte. The glw is have the size at 8 weeks. They are both with a group of rir and pbr that are mature. I find the little ones are fine getting in first but if the ladies get there early then the pullets stay outside and cry.
I was curious if your glw had any issues after reaching mature size. Do you have any updates? I expect the glw is just a slow grower.

I have a golden laced wyandotte that has grown slower and is half the size of all my other day old chicks (that are now all 12 weeks old I ordered online/came together. Is that normal? I am just concerned because my other hens are very cruel and pick at her until her face and comb are all bloody even though they have all grown up together? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
View attachment 2196203View attachment 2196205
How are things going. I ask because i have three golden Wyandotte and one is half the size as the rest. Her feathers are coming in slower. They don't pick on her...yet....but she is just so tiny compared to her sisters. And they are from same hatch. From a hatchery but same hatch.

Back
Top Bottom