Do goslings sweat?

PurpleWiggleButt

Songster
Apr 26, 2021
Jellico, TN
I'm in East Tennessee and it's been 90° for the past 2 days. I think it's gonna be a HOT summer, not good for a redhead but I hope not for 3 Emden gooslings 10 days old also.
I've taken them out with me to finish putting the bird netting and siding on their house. I figure if I'm gonna be out there working they could give me some constructive criticism or just criticism.
I put up a tarp for shade for both of us. They had access to 3 tubs of water and I brought both their food and greens and of course grass. I gingerly watch my step becaus they're always underfoot. I take breaks and hydrate and make sure they do as well.
I've noticed some panting, lethargy and they all feel sweaty.
Yes, I have seen them walk thru the water or sit down and rub their oil glands and preen. The temps are so high outside, even warmer than the brooder so I didn't think twice about letting them play because they would dry off or I'd help them dry off before we came back to the brooder and they never sit under the lamp anyway. They have nice dark green poops not runny so no diarrhea. When we start heading back to the house they haulass to get there then they're fine!

Are they being spoiled by the a/c?
Am I gonna need to expose them to the heat and humidity more and more everyday even without pin feathers?

20210613_121627.jpg

Hi - I'm in KY and it's been brutally hot here with the heat index (pushing 100) the last couple of days, too. My geese hang out in the shade and appreciate cool water to drink and bathe in. I think I may be suffering more than they are because they're not hauling feed buckets or doing other strenuous tasks. 🥵

Cool water, shade, and limited activity should help them weather the heat. I keep very young goslings in a climate-controlled brooding area until they're ready to go outside, and see nothing wrong with that at all. As you said, gradually acclimating them will help prepare them to be outside eventually. 🙂

Hi - I'm in KY and it's been brutally hot here with the heat index (pushing 100) the last couple of days, too. My geese hang out in the shade and appreciate cool water to drink and bathe in. I think I may be suffering more than they are because they're not hauling feed buckets or doing other strenuous tasks. 🥵

Cool water, shade, and limited activity should help them weather the heat. I keep very young goslings in a climate-controlled brooding area until they're ready to go outside, and see nothing wrong with that at all. As you said, gradually acclimating them will help prepare them to be outside eventually. 🙂

I'm gonna have to rethink my brooder situation. They have the area but when I come into the room they stand up and wink at me it's kinda creepy to see heads floating above the sides.
Yah, the waters so hot coming out of the hose I have to carry it up. What's the rest of the summer gonna be like didn't we have snow last week?🤣
And it doesn't help that I'm so sunburned I glow!☺

We got a bit of a break in temps and, more importantly, humidity today :wee so I hope you did, too.

It's been hideously hot already, and it's not even summer yet. :th

Today was nice! 80°, a nice breeze and low humidity.
I took the girls outside again since it wasn't so miserable. They drank lots of water and were much less stressed than the past 2 days. I'm very impressed that they're using their oil gland and prining alot. I didn't know they started so soon they're only 10 days old.
They splashed around for a little bit but they had to wait for the dog to get out of their bowl.(not the bowl in the picture) I don't know who made a bigger mess but I wore all of it.
I give it a few months and the dog will have to ask politely to use the water. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom