Do Guinea Fowls like people?

They like people. They are very inquisitive and will investigate anything new.

You don't have to tame them... they will just get tame if you go and feed them a couple times a day... they will recognize your face and not get scared of you.

Mine run / fly up to me when ever I leave the house.

I got mine when they were about half grown.. and they were really scared of me when I first got them,

Guinea fowl, however, will not like to be petted or held... they hate that! It's just their nature. But they will easily get very close to you and feeed from you hand.
I AGREE WITH YOU

GUINEAS ARE QUITE WILD AND NEVER GOT EASLY TAMED,ALTHOUGHT IT MIGHT DEPEND ON YOUR RAISING. SOME PEOPLE HAVE GUINEAS THAT CAN HOP UP ON THEIR LAP AND ALLOW THEM TO HOLD THEIR HEADS.MAKING A VERY LOW COOING CALL.
ALTHOUGH OTHERS HAVE GUINEAS THAT MAY FEED ON THEIR HANDS BUT NEVER ALLOW TO BE HOLD, THAT IS ME.

we raised our first guinea keets by a mither hen, they were very tame the time they were still keets and would jump on our heards, to everyone they see,especially holding a meal. but as they become old, they started to freerange futher from us but do feed at close distance.
the only time our guinea hens tame, not males, is during broodiness and parenting. because the hens seems to like food alot, if youre slow. they might kick the dish out of your hand.
but males never,and if hold,be prepered to have a bird with lost feathers because they are very strong...

I am extremely blessed.
I got very friendly Guinea's.
I raised 37 in the house up until 12 weeks and then I brought them out to their Birdcage enclosure in the backyard. I kept them there for a week locked up. After I couldn't stand it anymore I had to let them out to free range and see what they thought of the great outdoors. I started in the afternoon with opening the door and they did wonderful once they are out of the bird cage. They run around the house to try to find me EVERY MORNING now. Once I'm found they stick by my feet until I give them their white millet....I CALL IT THEIR CRACK. Otherwise they range til an hour before sundown...Then they herd into the birdcage built for therm.
....4 months old now...36, various colors...tattooing is next.
A lot of training with white millet has encourage the birds to jump up on my arms and shoulders. They never peck at my face and they never poop on me.
They don't necessarily love to be hugged but some are definitely friendly enough to lay on my lap and let me pet them for a long time if the pack is close.
They will come in the house if I leery them....The hubby is not a fan.
I'm used to the NOISE...i often call back at therm.... they are SoooOoOO curious... they will stop calling to stop me I think.

We have a male guinea that wandered into our yard two years ago and never left. He is very friendly to us and our 3 Neighbors. I put out game bird crumble and a fresh bowl of water on our back porch daily. Over the past two years he has become very friendly and has even let me pick him up. He follows us around and likes to visit in our garage. There are no other of his kind nearby so he may have taken us as his flock.
wow he actually let you pick him up??? I have 3 male guineas. I lost the female this summer. Raised them small then pretty much left them on their own. when I had to remove one from a shed I could not even grab him their wings and feet were to strong for me. nope never again. unfortunately I had to rescue one recently. he got stuck in a bush. he was ok to release. I think he knew he was in trouble:wee

Guineas are the bomb!!! some like them, some not. I have neighbors that get a kick of them. one of my males was kicked out by a dominate male. so he would go over to my neighbors and look at their sliding glass door admiring himself. they actually named him Billy. I could tell you all kinds of stories about them. the best thing about them... they are unique, fun to have and a good topic of conversation

We have 9 guinea fowl that hatched this spring (started with 12, but two met their demise in dog encounters, and one just disappeared recently). We haven't done much by way of "training" them or intentionally socializing them. But they love us anyway. I don't mean that they want to be held or anything, but they are always nearby, come running (and squawking) when they hear our voices, and are curious about everything we do. They are funny and friendly, and so far haven't had any differences of opinion with our chickens. They all mix together in the yard, and nobody seems to mind. They share food and treats with the chickens. They think our tractor is their leader - they will follow it anywhere.
We call them The Freaks, because they're always SO EXCITED, just freaking out about everything.

Back
Top Bottom