Do guinea hens hatch their own eggs?

Some do! Out of the 10 of ours only one broods... But she broods for all of them ;)

incubating question; I know guinea eggs take 28 days, but what day do you put them into lockdown and raise the humidity? I have some in the bator, day 14 coming up, and wondered what day to lock down? This is my first time trying to hatch guineas

incubating question; I know guinea eggs take 28 days, but what day do you put them into lockdown and raise the humidity? I have some in the bator, day 14 coming up, and wondered what day to lock down? This is my first time trying to hatch guineas

I put my guinea eggs into lockdown on day 25 just the same as I do for turkeys. Because guineas can hatch from day 26 to 28 normally, some people put them into lockdown on day 23. Others that do a lot of candling don't move any eggs to lockdown until they see an internal pip.

My current batch of guinea egg contains both shipped eggs and my own eggs. Apparently the shipped eggs got an early start during the shipping. When I went to move them to the hatcher one of the shipped eggs had already hatched on day 25 and three more eggs were externally pipped and all the rest were internally pipped.

My eggs have their first external pip today which is day 26 and most of them were internally pipped when I moved them to lockdown.

Good luck.

I have a guinea hen with her chicks. She is now just over 15 months old.
She had a mate and laid 11 eggs. They were under some planks in the grass.
I covered the nest with a tarp and put a length of wire around to keep my dogs out.
She sat for the entire time and hatched 9 keets.
The father went over the wire to graze and the dog got too close to the keets so was attacked by the dad.
He unfortunately lost his life leaving her to bring up the keets on her own.
A friend put them in her large aviary for a month or so.
I let her have two of them and after a bit (at home) the dog killed another.
I still have the mum and 5 keets and they are doing well. They are Lavender Pieds all of them.
She and the keets got out of the run today and wanted to free range and attacked my other dog(Terrier) thinking she was a threat as she got too close one other time and suffered the consequenses. Hole in top of head and two on chest.
(My friend found one keet dead one cold morning.)
The fact being I couldn't ask for a better mother than this little girl.

Does any one know how long after hatching her brood before she lays again?

I put my guinea eggs into lockdown on day 25 just the same as I do for turkeys. Because guineas can hatch from day 26 to 28 normally, some people put them into lockdown on day 23. Others that do a lot of candling don't move any eggs to lockdown until they see an internal pip.

My current batch of guinea egg contains both shipped eggs and my own eggs. Apparently the shipped eggs got an early start during the shipping. When I went to move them to the hatcher one of the shipped eggs had already hatched on day 25 and three more eggs were externally pipped and all the rest were internally pipped.

My eggs have their first external pip today which is day 26 and most of them were internally pipped when I moved them to lockdown.

Good luck.

I have never been able to candle and an internal pip, can you give me some tips? Thanks

Quote:
Number 1 tip, use a strong light. The one that I currently use is listed as 3000 lumens by the manufacturer. With a freshly charged battery it easily illuminates the inside of of Welsummer and blue eggs.

Candle from the large end of the egg.

Read @Sally Sunshine Hatching Eggs 101 paying particular attention to the section on candling. Here are the candling links suggested in her guide.

http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/Avian/pfs32.htm

http://www.metzerfarms.com/Candling.cfm

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=73884.0

http://shilala.homestead.com/candling.html

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation

Beginning of an internal pip.

Good luck.

I have a Lavender Guinea hen that just hatched 17 keets in the hay field and brought them out yesterday morning. I also had another Pearl hen that was sitting on about 25-30 eggs for three weeks in the hay field when some predator got her and the eggs before she hatched. They would not lay in the nests in the pen so they went to nesting in the field. The trouble with this is that they are blind at night and cannot protect themselves. My wife and I wee going t move her into the pen, but decided to let her go since this is our first year to have the adult birds. We just started raising them last year when we mail the keets in the middle of June. We let them free range but they spend the nights in the coop. I love to watch them and listen to them.

Hi! I have a female setting a clutch of eggs right now. Be aware, however, that you need to take the baby keets away from the parents after they hatch. If you do not do this, they will all be killed. This has already happened to me. A large net (fishing type) will work to catch the keets. This works better with 2 people. Have a brooding set up for the babies when they hatch. I am, currently hatching banty eggs in a brooder and I haved banty chickens setting guinea eggs and a guinea setting eggs, so it should be pretty busy around here towards the end of this month.

I have a guinea that is currently sitting 15 eggs...the problem is, she is the only guinea I have. I am wondering if maybe she is sitting on other hens eggs...could a rooster have gotten to her or is this typical for them to sit on unfertilized eggs? She won't let me near them, she is very protective of her nest...

Back
Top Bottom