Do Guineas lay well in captivity?

SpringtownEggLady

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Springtown, Texas
I have had guineas for several years. Last spring I lost over 2 dozen to predators. It took quite some time for me to rebuild my flock and I am nervous about letting them out of their pens. Can anyone out there tell me if they have had much luck with guineas laying eggs while locked up in pens rather than letting them free range. I would appreciate any help anyone can give.

Thank you

hello there"
we have had guineas for 6 yrs, anyway its nice to have them like chickens, but very noisy like something i' don't know. well guineas that are let to free-range lay thick-shell eggs with good fertility, guineas who are locked have poor fertility. our guineas forange all daylong but lay in the barn.
first of all you need to teach them to lay in the coop and then let them freerange. if guineas are not locked they will be more wild are lay eggs in hidden spots. luck'

That is a good question. I'm thinking about keeping mine locked up because I know that they will wander away and risk being killed. But I simply love their eggs.

The larger the space they have access to the better. I plan to keep my hens confined to a large open pen (clip the feathers on one wing) and let the males fly in and out as they desire. Also I will feed laying pellets as a part of their daily ration.

Back
Top Bottom