do hens act weird when they are going to lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JesusChick, Oct 6, 2009.

1. JesusChick

JesusChick New Egg

Jun 9, 2009
    our chicks are about 18 weeks old and today one of them was sorta digging a hole in the dirt and "nesting" there. When ever another chick would bother her she would peck at it. Is this chick getting readyt to lay an egg or is something wrong with it. And how do I get them to lay in their nest boxes

2. barredrockmama

barredrockmama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2009
    Humboldt County, CA
    It sounds like your chicken was just taking a dirt bath. When they lay they will start clucking their heads off.

3. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    That's not weird it's normal. It's called "dusting" and it helps them control mites and other critters. [​IMG]

4. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    Get A Bag Of Play Sand (or Any Kind Of Sand Really) And Spread It Out... Mine Go Crazy! It's Funny To Watch Them. At Least With My Chickens, They All Have To 'bathe' Themselves Practically On Top Of Each Other Because They Want The Spot The Other Was In.

...silly Birds

5. Land of Lost Toys

Land of Lost Toys Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Not only do my birds want the spot the others were in, but our one cat pushes the hens out of their hole so he can lay in it and roll around in the dirt....silly cat.

6. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

You will see her get kind of ancy and acting confused when she's about to lay her first egg. And she will probably be looking for a place to hide and feel cozy and safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by