do hens fight like roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mamahen1980, Jun 16, 2013.

1. mamahen1980

mamahen1980 Chillin' With My Peeps

My question is do hens fluff up neck feathers bump chest and flying leg kicks like roosters?
  2. 12chickenlover3

12chickenlover3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    No. But some hens can be very nasty! They will attack other chickens. But they do not puff up their chest feathers.
  3. mamahen1980

Trying to figure out how many roosters I may have.cause just looking at them im having no hope have 31 so it gets confusing lol. Thanks
  4. chrispbrown27

chrispbrown27 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2013
    I have to buff orpingtons (which are positively hens because they are currently laying) will fluff out their chest and neck feathers when they feel it is necessary to push another chicken around. My cornish x's will also do this, but only to each other they pretty much stay away from the other bird.
  5. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    especially whrn they are young they will challenge each other. Doesn't mean anything about determining sex of a chick.
  6. mamahen1980

Good was afraid I had lot of roosters
    1 person likes this.
  7. chynasparks

chynasparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    That's good to know because I have a RIR that I had been suspecting was a roo. But at 14 weeks the tail feathers have not grown out, no crow attempts. The comb and wattles are bigger than the other red but not overly large. She has been doing the fluff and chest bump though but since I got them into their new enclosure with more room, she's gotten better. It's still iffy but I'm leaning more toward pullet now. Time will tell.
  8. HawaiiHens

HawaiiHens New Egg

Jul 8, 2014
    I have similar question. Last night while free ranging, two of my "hens" who usually hang out together, got into a fight that looked just like a "cock fight" with them jumping up and down at each other and kicking. One of them MIGHT be a rooster, but the other is supposed to be a hen. So hens sort out pecking order with that kind of fight?
  9. adeleroy8

adeleroy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2014
    Waxhaw, NC
    Sorry poor quality pics....I was given these hens when I purchased my coop....and I assumed that they were "girls" and not "boys"...they have not started laying yet but they do fight like two cocks....I sure hope they are indeed hens.....

10. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Really need some more clear pictures to be ale to say. Can't really sex pullets and cocks from juvinile behaviour, not until they are squatting or mounting at least.

A clear side on shot will show the hackle, saddle and sickle feathers if it is a male.

Pullets won't have those feathers listed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by