Do hens get aggressive?

Mgrace717

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2020
Do hens get a little aggressive or protective of nest before going broody? I went to collect eggs this evening and had a hen jump on my leg and keep running at me while I got the eggs. She wasn't on the nest and has not been setting. Wasn't sure if maybe she was about to start setting? Hadn't seen this behavior before

I had a little bitty Silkie that would bite like a bulldog when she went broody. She'd latch on then shake and twist her head like she was trying to bite a wedge of your hand off. Vicious little thing.

I've had it happen, but rather infrequently.
I've had many broody hens, I have 3 setting now, but none have ever shown that behavior. It's a younger hen, about 8 months old. Not sure what her problem is lol I left her about 8 eggs in case she decides to set

I had a little bitty Silkie that would bite like a bulldog when she went broody. She'd latch on then shake and twist her head like she was trying to bite a wedge of your hand off. Vicious little thing.
Hahaha that's how my hens are that are already on the nest, but this one was just waking around like she was guarding the nest

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom