Do hens give predator alarm calls?

Having a rooster doesn't stop predation. They can be the first to go, or sometimes they just run cackling. Relying on roosters to stop predators isn't gonna work long term. It works until something find your birds. A rooster can't usually stop that, although occasionally one is successful at driving something off, but usually the rooster gives his life first, and the predation continues.

A good rooster can make a HUGE difference in predation losses. Hens are scratching and pecking all day, while rooster is standing guard and constantly scanning for danger. There are lots of trees / cover where chickens can escape here, so having a running head start, instead of falling prey to sneak attacks, makes a huge difference in survival rates.

A good rooster can make a HUGE difference in predation losses. Hens are scratching and pecking all day, while rooster is standing guard and constantly scanning for danger. There are lots of trees / cover where chickens can escape here, so having a head start, instead of falling prey to sneak attacks, makes a huge difference in survival rates.
It did nothing for me this year. Lots of cover, used to have lots of roosters. The Fox just came trotting in and took birds. The owl and hawks caught birds off guard. Now I gotta build up my rooster numbers again.

Everything was fine here until it wasn't. Roosters didn't stop any of it. Only a gun can or locking up your birds will put a stop to it.

full

Anything else is not a rooster.

All hens are capable of both spotting predators and giving an alarm call. Centrarchid mentions an example.
Senior hens won't always take up all the roosters duties but ime they can become the flock focus and the other hens will keep an eye on the senior hen. What seems to happen here in a group with no rooster and an experienced senior hen is the routes they take from A to B change and they become more cautious about being out in the open.

Just depends, of course we weren't dealing with fox or coyote, but the barred rock rooster in the other flock I used to have would take on a hawk and most times they didn't come back. Feral cats he would kill , problem there they were so hungry they evolved into hunting as a pack to try and get a meal without loosing their lives.the skunks and coons steered pretty clear of them, but they also had cows and a bull between them and the area a fox or coyote would come from. He protected the flock for a good 5 years along with a drake and a subbordinate Rooster that while the main rooster and drake went on the attack the other Rooster and the older circled the younger ones and moved in unison to safety. flock conisted of 17 hens 2 roosters, duck flock was 2 drakes and 17 hens.

It did nothing for me this year. Lots of cover, used to have lots of roosters. The Fox just came trotting in and took birds. The owl and hawks caught birds off guard. Now I gotta build up my rooster numbers again.

Everything was fine here until it wasn't. Roosters didn't stop any of it. Only a gun can or locking up your birds will put a stop to it.

Sorry to hear about your losses :( Have you tried using different rooster breeds? Some are more watchfull than others. It is illegal to discharge a firearm where I live. I have electric fence across most of the yard, but there are gaps due to rocky areas and a small creek, so that is where the predators sneak in. As long as someone is keeping an eye on the gaps they can usually escape in time.

Sorry to hear about your losses :( Have you tried using different rooster breeds? Some are more watchfull than others. It is illegal to discharge a firearm where I live. I have electric fence across most of the yard, but there are gaps due to rocky areas and a small creek, so that is where the predators sneak in. As long as someone is keeping an eye on the gaps they can usually escape in time.
I had various breeds. They had worked well for many years, but I think the Fox was too similar to my dogs and the cat, so it wasn't seen as something to fear. No one seemed to learn much from each attack. We were able to stop 3, but lost many more, as well as some turkey hens, and a duck hen. My remaining roosters learned to stick closer to the shed, and to run faster.

The hawk and owl used the tree cover to their advantage to snatch birds out of.

We are out in the country so shooting isn't an issue here, it's being in the right place at the right time. That's harder.

We have all kinds of look outs from roosters, turkeys geese, ducks, goats and donkeys. This year everything failed. It has been the worse year here. Usually if I lose one to predators it's a lot. For now it has stopped finally.

I don't like gamey roosters or those that are too busy. My main roosters were Orpingtons. I may get another barred rock next year. All my current roosters are under 2 years. All my experienced roosters are gone. I thought I had it all figured out, but one Fox showed me I didn't.

I had various breeds. They had worked well for many years, but I think the Fox was too similar to my dogs and the cat, so it wasn't seen as something to fear. No one seemed to learn much from each attack. We were able to stop 3, but lost many more, as well as some turkey hens, and a duck hen. My remaining roosters learned to stick closer to the shed, and to run faster.

The hawk and owl used the tree cover to their advantage to snatch birds out of.

We are out in the country so shooting isn't an issue here, it's being in the right place at the right time. That's harder.

We have all kinds of look outs from roosters, turkeys geese, ducks, goats and donkeys. This year everything failed. It has been the worse year here. Usually if I lose one to predators it's a lot. For now it has stopped finally.

I don't like gamey roosters or those that are too busy. My main roosters were Orpingtons. I may get another barred rock next year. All my current roosters are under 2 years. All my experienced roosters are gone. I thought I had it all figured out, but one Fox showed me I didn't.
I have had really good luck with Barred rock and Ameracauna(sp) roosters the Ameracauna is a lot more people friendly though. he has chased a loose dog all the way back to it's house and so far 6 months later that dog hasn't been back but nice enough to come eat treats outta your hand carefully and occasionally let ya hold him or pet him

Back
Top Bottom