do hens have breaks from their chicks

chickarooo

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 21, 2013
I just went out side and found my hen scratching in the garden with out her chciks she has 5 2 day old chciks and I found her scratching around she left them do hens have breaks? or do u think she has rejected them?

In my experience hens usually keep their chicks close by and talks to them and gives them attention all the time. She may have abandoned them, but it's not very common for hens to do that. I've only seen it happen once in all the years I've raised chickens. Before you intervene watch her for awhile, give her something to eat and see if she calls them. She should.

Last edited:
when she is with them she cares for them but when she is not with them she dosen't care even when she hears them she keeps scratching and she seems to be getting off them more and more what do u think she is doing

Hmm, she doesn't sound very interested. Keep an eye on them and see if they're o.k. and warm enough, especially at night, and that they get something to eat and drink. If she gets worse and goes to roost without them, rather put them in a brooder with a heat lamp and raise them yourself.

ok well i went out there just before and she was scratching around the nesting box but she wasn't on them i put her back on her babies and I am going to check them later

Take them out of the box and put them with her where she's scratching and doing her thing and see what she does.

i am thinking of taking 3 away from her to put in the brooder and leaving 2 of the strongest with her and if she is with the babies tomorrow morning I will put them back with her it's just I am worried the young one will die because she isn't that interested in them

Back
Top Bottom