1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do hens have breaks from their chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickarooo, Aug 26, 2013.

1. chickarooo

chickarooo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2013
    I just went out side and found my hen scratching in the garden with out her chciks she has 5 2 day old chciks and I found her scratching around she left them do hens have breaks? or do u think she has rejected them?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    In my experience hens usually keep their chicks close by and talks to them and gives them attention all the time. She may have abandoned them, but it's not very common for hens to do that. I've only seen it happen once in all the years I've raised chickens. Before you intervene watch her for awhile, give her something to eat and see if she calls them. She should.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  3. chickarooo

Aug 21, 2013
    ok thanks i will try that

4. chickarooo

Aug 21, 2013
    when she is with them she cares for them but when she is not with them she dosen't care even when she hears them she keeps scratching and she seems to be getting off them more and more what do u think she is doing

5. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hmm, she doesn't sound very interested. Keep an eye on them and see if they're o.k. and warm enough, especially at night, and that they get something to eat and drink. If she gets worse and goes to roost without them, rather put them in a brooder with a heat lamp and raise them yourself.

6. chickarooo

Aug 21, 2013
    ok well i went out there just before and she was scratching around the nesting box but she wasn't on them i put her back on her babies and I am going to check them later

7. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Can the chicks get out of the nesting box to follow her?

8. chickarooo

Aug 21, 2013
    um sort off but they shouldn't yet they are only 2 days old

9. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Take them out of the box and put them with her where she's scratching and doing her thing and see what she does.

10. chickarooo

Aug 21, 2013
    i am thinking of taking 3 away from her to put in the brooder and leaving 2 of the strongest with her and if she is with the babies tomorrow morning I will put them back with her it's just I am worried the young one will die because she isn't that interested in them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by